New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Video animation software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joelwnelson

joelwnelson is on a distinguished road

I need to make a small animation for a promotional video, with some company logos "flying in" from the edges of the screen. I don't see any way to do this in Final Cut Express (3.5.1), so my options as I see it are...
...Use Keynote or PowerPoint and export to QuickTime and then import that in FCE ("tried and true" method -- done it before -- but not quite the level of control I want for this project)

...Manually animate it using frames and layers in a Photoshop CS3 Extended project (time consuming).

...Buy a software suite that is intended for this purpose.

I will be making enough money on this promo video that I can afford to put some of it back out in software (which would be useful for future projects). If I buy software, which is best for the purpose?
-Shake
-Motion
-Final Cut Pro
... and would either Shake or Motion run on a first-gen MacBook (2 GHz Core Duo)?
...a different software title?
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

adobe flash.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Yep Flash is good for that, or After Affects i think, i have both but don't really use them.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

After Effects is the best tool for this.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
joelwnelson

joelwnelson is on a distinguished road

I currently have CS3 Web Premium. Is there a way to "upgrade" and add After Effects CS3 or is it going to run me $1000 for the full version?
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

I don't think you can upgrade to the Production Premium version without having that one before. I will look more on the website for that though, and by the way does anyone know of a website that i can get free tutorials for after effects 6.5?

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMERA MAN View Post
does anyone know of a website that i can get free tutorials for after effects 6.5?
http://library.creativecow.net/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I noticed you mentioned Shake, which would probably be overkill, but still, if you're prepared to put the time in and learn how to use it you can get some amazing results (giant gorillas and transforming cars and such). I wouldn't say it's right for this project, but it's so cheap now you might want to get it anyway (although I believe Apple are working on an entirely new replacement...).

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Recording Question | Import 16:9 quicktime 16:9 file to iMovie »