New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HD editing on a MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a macbook pro for editing very soon. However, I have been told that the Macbook pro cannot edit "true" HD video (in Final cut studio 2) due to it's resolution and graphics card / capture device. However, i have been told it can edit "compressed HD", can anyone tell me the difference and enlighten me on this?

The last thing I want to do is spend 1800 on a mac that won't do the job I need it to.
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

if you got the 17" macbook with the top spec graphcis card it might do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, you won't be able to view 1080p on a display that's less than 1920x1080. But you can still edit the material and export it in that format... so yeah - you can edit full HD.
QUOTE Thanks
nepgunes

nepgunes is on a distinguished road

Broad Format Support
With native support for virtually any format, Final Cut Pro lets you edit everything from uncompressed SD to HDV, DVCPRO HD, and uncompressed HD — as well as Panasonic P2 and Sony XDCAM HD tapeless formats. Or use ProRes 422, a new post-production format from Apple that offers uncompressed HD quality at SD file sizes. Mix and match a wide range of formats and even frame rates in the open format Timeline. If you edit film, use the redesigned interface in Cinema Tools 4 to work faster than ever, with customizable lists that let you combine timecode and keycode in a single document.

Took That Off Of:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

OK... I got this off the final cut studio 2 specifications...

"Capturing HD resolution video using the ProRes 422 format requires a Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon processor or a G5 Quad computer and a qualified third-party capture card. "

If I can't view full 1080p then how could I edit the footage (forgetting outputting to a HDTV), or would the footage be scaled in quality until I were to export it to say a HD DVD or Blu Ray?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The ProRes 422 format is for cinema quality stuff... if you're making the next Godzilla - you'll need it. Oh and one of these.

For regular prosumer grade HD editing, the Macbook Pro will just display the footage scaled to your screen's resolution. If you want to do some serious editing, you could always get a 23" external monitor to go with it.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

I'll be editing music videos (pro level work) - I am also an indie film maker but i doubt i'll be wanting to make the next godzilla, that's not really my thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

PowerbookG4 is really the guy you need to speak to then... he's waaay into the whole filmmaking stuff

I just mess around with a DV camera in Final Cut Express HD a bit every now and then.

Anyway, good luck - I look forward to seeing Indiezilla in theatres soon!
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

lol. thanks man.
Because of the nature of my work I cannot post it on youtube (record labels, copyright music etc..) Once I get my mac i'll be converting some of my short films to go onto youtube, i'll post some links, i'd appreciate any feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
lol. thanks man.
Because of the nature of my work I cannot post it on youtube (record labels, copyright music etc..) Once I get my mac i'll be converting some of my short films to go onto youtube, i'll post some links, i'd appreciate any feedback.
i understand you cant post the stuff youve done on youtube, but if youve done some stuff with a record label's backing, i can imagine its online somewhere (the band's site, the label's site, mtv wanna be sites, etc), so post up a link!

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

I have just finished a music video for a band in Leeds (UK) called The Voltaires. The label have yet to approve that but when they do it will be on thier myspace site.

I did a live video for a band not long ago, but that isn't on thier site, it was for promo packs etc. I'll be putting that on my site soon.

check out http://www.myspace.com/pangvideo - work will be on there shortly (that I have clearance for).
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Hmm.. I think you could just put the top res in the 17" macbook pro, it is 1920*1200, which is the same as the 23" (correct me if I'm wrong). Just max the ram (to 4 GB), and you will be great for some mobile editing...

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting NTFS to FAT32 | DVD (VOB) > YouTube »