New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Question About Movie Editing Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bowlman23

bowlman23 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to use iMovie but it seems a little cumbersome to work with. I can't get everything to work in sync with each other. Are there any other types of software that is a little better than iMovie, but not as complicated as Final Cut Pro???

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Unfortunately, you have less options on the Mac than you do on the PC. I find iMovie to a bit cumbersome myself, but that's because it's lacking in features. Someone looking for light editing probably doesn't mind the lack of precision and control over their effects and filters

Final Cut Express is an option, although it's got the same interface as Final Cut Pro. There is a definite learning curve, but once you've got the basics down, the rest comes fairly naturally. It's also about a fifth of the price
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I've just started working with Final Cut Express HD and if you know your way around iMovie I'd say this is definitely learnable.

I don't quite understand all the features yet and I'm sure I'm not using it optimally, but I can work the basics.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There is also Avid Xpress Pro. Which I believe is similar to Final Cut Express HD

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlman23 View Post
can't get everything to work in sync with each other.
Maybe you should clearly explain the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bowlman23

bowlman23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Maybe you should clearly explain the problem.
All I'm really trying to do is make a movie with just photos and music in the background. I tried making it last night, but I couldn't get the music to be in line with the amount of photos. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

iDVD does that, where you can tell the pictures to fit the length of the movie. That is great if your output is a DVD. iMovie for some reason doesn't seem to have that feature. You could create a DVD disk image and extract the mpeg2 file using a tool I guess.

In iMovie I think the closest you could get is to account for the length of the audio, and then select all the images and apply an appropriate transition, but first apply the length for each image I suppose. You'd have to account for how the transition is applied. And you don't want to import your pictures via the Ken Burns effect. Very ugly I know.

Hopefully the next version of iMovie will address this short coming.
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Some time ago, Think Secret had some screenshots up (actually I think that Mac World also had some screenshots in an issue some months back). I have to admit that it looks really slick. I've been really anxious for iWork '08 (I love Pages, but would like a little more functionality, and I really am looking forward to its spreadsheet app), but looking at the completely redesigned interface in Office 2008, I may just end up sticking with it!

(It helps working in Redmond where I have several friends who can pick up a copy of Office at the MSFT store for less money than I'll pay for iWork)
QUOTE Thanks
Danw400

Danw400 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
There is also Avid Xpress Pro. Which I believe is similar to Final Cut Express HD
Avid Xpress Pro is about $1899, their media composer (the high end version of Avid) is about $5,000. I work with it-it has a considerably higher learning curve than Final Cut. Sounds like Final Cut Express HD might be what you want, you can get it for $239 or something from amazon.com. It's not too difficult to work with, you'll get it down in no time, at least the basic functions. Never used the express version, just final cut pro, but it's a good program.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP read only | Converting NTFS to FAT32 »