New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Need some help with toast

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheMonkeyProjec

I'm trying to make a dvd from some WMV format video clips i have on my hard drive.

I set everything up in toast, and told it to start burning, the problem was, 24 hours later and it was STILL encoding the movies. Is this normal? if not, what am i doing wrong??

FYI: I'm using an Imac C2D 2.16ghz, 1GB ram, 256mb video, and toast 8 titanium.

Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
mnh101

mnh101 is on a distinguished road

I just got Toast 8 as well, and it took a very long time, i would say prob several hours..but it eventually finished. I dont think it should be taking as long as it did, however maybe the program just stopped responding and failed to tell you.

The one complain i have with toast 8 however is that I have some episodes of WEEDS downloaded, which look amazing when i play them on my iMac, but burnt them to a dvd and went to play them on the tv upstairs, and they looked like the worst quality video that i have ever seen. good luck with toast. as far as dvd burning goes, i just came from windows XP, and i would say it was much easier.
QUOTE Thanks
TheMonkeyProjec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnh101 View Post
I just got Toast 8 as well, and it took a very long time, i would say prob several hours..but it eventually finished. I dont think it should be taking as long as it did, however maybe the program just stopped responding and failed to tell you.

The one complain i have with toast 8 however is that I have some episodes of WEEDS downloaded, which look amazing when i play them on my iMac, but burnt them to a dvd and went to play them on the tv upstairs, and they looked like the worst quality video that i have ever seen. good luck with toast. as far as dvd burning goes, i just came from windows XP, and i would say it was much easier.
Wow, i was almost certain that your reply about windows would at least incite SOME SORT of help...
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I have had videos take upwards of 5 hours to encode and burn, but never 24. Perhaps you could tone down the quality setting? Also, you could try using ffmpg (or something close to that name) to convert it to another format such as .avi and then try burning.

Goodluck.

P.S.

If your dvd player is divx compatiable, you could burn it as that.
QUOTE Thanks
mnh101

mnh101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonkeyProjec View Post
Wow, i was almost certain that your reply about windows would at least incite SOME SORT of help...

it does, go to windows if you want easy DVD burning. Way more programs out there that make it way easier ... and faster. but thats my personal preference.
QUOTE Thanks
nepgunes

nepgunes is on a distinguished road

Toast doesnt support WMV Files. I don't know why you would want to convert WMV to a DVD file. WMV is a very compressed version of the original file. At the very least you would want to use an .AVI file.

Also The program MARLTON suggested is FFMPEGX but that doesnt support WMV either.
QUOTE Thanks
TheMonkeyProjec

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepgunes View Post
Toast doesnt support WMV Files. I don't know why you would want to convert WMV to a DVD file. WMV is a very compressed version of the original file. At the very least you would want to use an .AVI file.

Also The program MARLTON suggested is FFMPEGX but that doesnt support WMV either.
well...it's not that i WANT to use a wmv file...it's the fact that the file is wmv, and i don't have much of a choice in the matter...lol
QUOTE Thanks
nepgunes

nepgunes is on a distinguished road

I would suggest not trying to burn the WMV to DVD and just watch it on your computer...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Camera(s) help ASAP for newb [Buying and transfering] | Files in iMovie HD trash? »