Thread: burning movies

Specs:
    13 Inch Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Memory, 120GB Hard drive, Double layer Super Drive
    burning movies
    i am trying to make copies of my movies. They are ones that i already own, and im not selling them or anything i just want copies so i can take them with me places and if they get scratched or damaged its a copy instead of an original. Its what i did with most of my cds. Anyway i imported one of my movies with handbrake, then burned it using my macbook. when i went to put the dvd in the dvd player it told me that it couldnt read this type of disc. i dont really know anyhting about burning dvds so i need some help. i used a Fujifilm DVD-R 120 min 4.7 GB 1Xto16X (whatever that means). I know there are DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R's and things like that. is there a setting i can change, do i need a different kind of blank DVD, a different program, or is it not possible.
    thanks
    Derek

Derek,

I am having the same problem as well. I have used three different types of DVD+r's as well as DVD-R's and I still cannot play any movies on my regular DVD player. I have also used several rip and burn programs with no avail. There is something about the format of the movie and and its compatibility with the burner and the ripper. Hopefully, we can get this thing figured out.

Charlie

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Use MacTheRipper (Free) to copy them to the Hard Drive and Toast to burn them back to a DVD. No loss of quality.

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Use MacTheRipper (Free) to copy them to the Hard Drive and Toast to burn them back to a DVD. No loss of quality.
    Exactly!

Using Handbrake is not the option you want. Handbrake makes a compressed format file. It is for storing a back up, watching on special DVD/Divx players, or for watching on your computer or portable device (PSP, iPod, etc).

Mac the ripper actually rips the movie in a DVD friendly format, and then you can use Toast (Pay), or Burn (free) to burn the movie to a new DVD.

Allow me to warn you, that copying DVD's that you do not own is illegal. Make sure that your copying purposes are for backing up your own DVD's only.

Best,

Brian

Specs:
    13 Inch Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Memory, 120GB Hard drive, Double layer Super Drive
    gothca, thanks guys.
    and yeah they are ones that i own. i dont wanna get in trouble for crap like that.

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    there are several tutorials on the board detailing how to rip and burn a movie
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Yeah, I've used Mactheripper and for some it didn't work either.

i am using handbrake to convert some of my DVDs for watching on my ipod 5G and psp.
    Can anyone tell me the settings to use for psp as It is not seeing the video file and i want to make sure i encoded it right

Quote Originally Posted by richieg View Post
    i am using handbrake to convert some of my DVDs for watching on my ipod 5G and psp.
    Can anyone tell me the settings to use for psp as It is not seeing the video file and i want to make sure i encoded it right
    Use MP4 for PSP and iPod.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
    Allow me to warn you, that copying DVD's that you do not own is illegal. Make sure that your copying purposes are for backing up your own DVD's only.

Best,

Brian
    Unfortunately you are not correct. Breaking the encryption, even on DVDs you own is also illegal at this point and discussion of it is currently in violation of our forum rules.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Thread Information