New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Using an HDTV as monitor through hdmi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheThirdMan

TheThirdMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz

I know it's possible, but i was wondering how the tv would behave- like a dvi monitor (the computer can detect it, set the applicable res etc). Im hoping to get a full HD 1080 tv and, using a DVI to HDMI cable, use it as both a tv for a ps3 and as a secondary display for a mac pro. Seeing as HDMI is DVI+sound, i would imagine it would behave almost identically to DVI, but i'm not too sure. Are there any image quality issues etc?

I scoured the HDTV post, but coudnt find anything answering this question...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It will work, however, there are a couple of issues.

First - the EDID - the info passed to the connected devices - this has not been standardized with the HDMI specification for using this connection with a computer - so whether OS X recognizes it and auto sets the correct resolution probably will not occur - this is not so much of a problem as you will be able to set the resolution in system Preferences for the desired output.

Second - The way OS X handles fonts leaves something to be desired when using an HDTV as a monitor. Movies and games look OK, but in comparison to XP, all text looks really bad in comparison. It's readable, but just not clear. I have and/or currently use 26", 32", 55" 720p HDTV's as my primary monitor on my XP machine. Have been for 2 years. Got my MBP 6 months ago and have read and researched much regarding this issue and have found the same problem reported, but no resolution anywhere.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

Cheers, i will primarily use it as a the preview monitor for FCS edits, so font sizing isnt really an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That should function adequately

QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

WOuld image quality be as good as say a bluray movie from a bluray player through hdmi?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I actually do not notice that much difference between using the VGA and HDMI connections.

If you are talking about watching a standard DVD from the internal drive - no, the DVD is still going to be 720 x 480 (720 x 576 PAL) and that is the best you will get. When playing them on your computer they get upscaled to match the resolution of your screen - this is not the same as if the recording were in 720 or 1080 to begin with.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question on Quicktime | Problems with Handbrake »