New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

FCP5 dropped frames issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

specialk

specialk is on a distinguished road

Hey,
I'm using FCP5 on my G4 (1.67GHZ, 1.5GB RAM). I have 2 500GB, 7200RPM G-RAID external drives daisy-chained (both virtually filled) to my machine, and I've been experiencing an unusual amount of dropped frames lately as I edit (sometimes as often as once every 15 seconds! It's inconsistent, in any case.) I've got safe RT on; I always have only the sequence opened that I happen to be working on; my real-time audio tracks are down to 4; I've got the playback quality at low and the playback frame rate at a quarter. Does anyone have ideas on what else I can do to be able to edit more smoothly? I'm desperate!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I'm no FCP expert, but I'd...

Choose the Tools menu --> Analyze --> Clip

and

double click on the clip in the browser and go Tools menu --> Long Frames --> Mark

Perhaps that will show some kind of bad import.

If that is a laptop your using, I would expect it to handle DV footage just fine.

Perhaps you are seeing some trait caused by setting up conservative settings.

I would also run Activity Monitor to see what the CPU, memory and drives are up to. Perhaps your 'virtually filled' drives are having supply issues.

I'd also shut down all other non-required applicaitons. Especially a web browser that might be on a web page with Flash content. That seems to suck up horse power.

Do you have anything else in that Firewire chain that might be slow.

The best best for an answer might be the Apple forums or the www.lafcpug.org forums.
QUOTE Thanks
Clifton336

Clifton336 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, but not with Final Cut Pro...i had Final Cut Express and I went to Apple's website and checked the help section, and apparently it's some bug in the program...you have to download a patch from their website and it should fix your problem...it fixed it for me, at least.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« playing movies | Black and White »