New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Few Adobe After Effects questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hobs707

hobs707 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic

I've been editing with iMovie for awhile and I'm ok with Final Cut Pro, but I just got Adobe After Effects to start experimenting with more effects and things. I just had a few random questions with it, sense I'm quite new with it.

First, where is a good place to find tutorials on AE?

Second, is when I import a .Mov file onto the timeline, I don't get any sound. Is it because its only a preview? Also I can't figure out how to advance one frame, like in iMovie and Final Cut it's the arrow keys. How do I do that in AE?

Also, how to I split the clip on the timeline? I couldn't find the tool for that.

And lastly, is it better to edit in AE? or should I edit in Final Cut or iMovie first and just use AE for effects?

Thanks a lot guys!
QUOTE Thanks
wyattoons

wyattoons is on a distinguished road

AfterEffects is for visuals. You can add a soundtrack to it (separate from the MOV), but it's not designed for sound editing or anything. Generally we tweak the visuals in AE and then bring it into FCP and layer in the sound. I prefer to edit in FCP, that's *what* it is there for and it does it better than AE. I know some people who became so used to AE they prefer to edit there, but they are going out of their way to do extra work just to avoid and afternoon of learning FCP.

Split Layer cuts the clip.

Advance one frame with Page Down
QUOTE Thanks
hobs707

hobs707 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattoons View Post
AfterEffects is for visuals. You can add a soundtrack to it (separate from the MOV), but it's not designed for sound editing or anything. Generally we tweak the visuals in AE and then bring it into FCP and layer in the sound. I prefer to edit in FCP, that's *what* it is there for and it does it better than AE. I know some people who became so used to AE they prefer to edit there, but they are going out of their way to do extra work just to avoid and afternoon of learning FCP.

Split Layer cuts the clip.

Advance one frame with Page Down
Ah. Thanks a lot man. How should I get it from FCP to AE?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to download Apple WWDC 2007 H.264 Stream | Make movies look hollywoody »