New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVR to macbook to DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aorta8403

aorta8403 is on a distinguished road

I have the Time warner HD cable box (Explorer 8300HD) it has a Sata connection on the back and an USB connection on the front. Does anyone know how to get the movies off my DVR to my mac. I was thinking if a Sata to USB would work? I found one at http://www.sataadapter.com/sata-adapter-page.html. Does anyone know if this will work?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The sata connection on the back is to add an external hard drive for storage when your internal drive is full I believe.

If your firewire port is unlocked (You can test is this way)
1.) Hold down the SELECT button on the front of the STB until the MESSEGE LIGHT either flashes or lights up.
2.) Press the INFO button either on your remote control or on the front of the STB.
3.) Press either the page up or page down buttons on the remote until you scroll to the page named COPY PROTECTION.
4.) You will see a list of outputs, such as DVI/HDMI,
YPrPb, 1394, and composite.
5.) You will see what kind of protection is used, if any. weither they are enabled, or constrained.

If your box is unlocked then you can transfer the files through firewire

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
aorta8403

DVI/HDMI is enabled and not constrained. The others have no protection at all. So if i got a male USB to female firewire can I plug directly into the box to my mac, as the 8300HD doesnt have firewire.

edit...sorry i do have firewire on the back of the 8300HD...so after i plug directly in....should a promt come up directly on my mac letting me transfer the files? How does the transfer work?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

You would need to use a program like http://www.ammesset.com/irecord/ to set a timer and record the stream in real time. So basically if the show you want to transfer is 60 minutes, you set it to run for 60 minutes and press play on your episode.

QUOTE Thanks
aorta8403

I downloaded irecord and let it record for almost 2 hours but when I looked to see what kind of format it was in it I noticed that it said zero KB. How could this be? Im I dont something wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Did you confirm that your device was detected bye opening the iRecord preferences window and select the Devices toolbar item

QUOTE Thanks
aorta8403

Yes....
QUOTE Thanks
aorta8403

Am I not using the irecord software right? I click file new event put what channel and what time I want it to start make sure that the device on it is the 8300HD and click ok. It starts at the time I set it and it shows that it is recording but when Its done I go into my movie folder and it is in .m2t format I look at the info on the file and it says zero KB.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Your best bet is to ask on the iRecord forums

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro Meets Audio Hijack Question? | XviD on a Mac? »