New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Best Editing Mac Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timhawkins8

timhawkins8 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I'm investing in a shiny new Mac Pro for my freelance editing work, however I'm a bit of a Mac novice and was wondering if anyone has any recommendation on what spec I should be looking for?
Cheers
TIM
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The best you can afford.

If you're looking for specifics, you will need to be more specific as to your use of the system. Particularly the software you plan on using and what type of editing work are you doing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

And what format you will be editing, and how much you are willing to spend.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

I am actually wanting to know the same question, but decided not to clog the forum up...

Basically, I am getting a mac, purely for editing. I can't really afford a macpro, but have been told that the macbook pro is better than the imac for editing.

I am however, wanting a desktop machine. Is it worth even waiting for a new imac or shall i get a macbook pro?

Surely the desktop machine is as capable or more than capable than a laptop for editing?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I'm assuming both requesters are going to be useing FCP or FCE at least.

If your going to be using Motion, then you definitely want a dedicated graphics card. The better the card, the better the performance. Also the realtime playback effects of FCP use the video card. I'm assuming FCE has that feature too. For the Mac Pro buyer this means you may want to upgrade the card when you buy, to the ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB card. For the iMac user it means you should NOT buy the lowest end iMac or a Mac mini or a non-Pro Macbook.

The current iMacs of choice use the ATI Radeon X1600 graphics processor as where the new MBPs use NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor. I haven't read performance numbers, but I would expect the MBP has a better processor. The older MBPs used the X1600. Oh, and the more memory the video card has, the better. Remember, you cannot update the graphics system in non-Mac Pro machines.

The last iMac release was in September, so some people are expecting a newer version real-soon-now. Perhaps that would have a newer faster graphics card. Don't ask when because Apple is the only one who knows.

To save dollars or better spread you funds, look into Apples refurbs. For the fixed systems such as MBPs, you want to understand the processor lineups too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Handbrake: Optimal settings to convert for iPod/iPhone | Final Cut question »