New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

how to download embeded flash videos off sites (macbook)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qwinkan

qwinkan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB

is this even possible?

thanks (^.^)
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

i know of a way, but it takes a little work, and a little html knowledge. i'm not so sure about safari, but i know it works with firefox... and it all depends on how badly you want it

what you need to do, is on the site with it. go to view>source, than you need to find the file in the code, the best way is to go to edit>find and search '.swf' and hopefully there is only one, but normally you can tell which one you want by the file name, then what you need to do is copy the file location "i.e. http://www.mac-forums.com/afolder/flash.swf " and just that, then, paste it into a textedit document, with plain text on, and around it put

<html>
<body>
<a href="http://www.mac-forums/afolder/flash.swf">Text Here</a>
</body>
</html>

of course substituting the file, and what ever text you want, than save it with the extension .html , it should as you if you want to use .txt, or .html (make sure textedit is in plain text mode, not rtf) than open that file in a browser.. ctrl click on the text and hit save link as, or something to that effect.

it's not as much work as it sounds, but it all depends how badly you want the video
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

shmendall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo

Are there any quicktime plugins which allow you to view flash?
If there are can you save them to your machine from QT like you can with QTMovies on the web?

Just a thought

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

due to the nature of a flash, with all it's action-script and what not. no, you can't get a plug in, it would also be very difficult for them to make one, it's kind of like watching a movie in preview
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwinkan View Post
is this even possible?

thanks (^.^)
Hi qwinkan,

There is an application for OS X called Democracy that will allow you to do this.

You can find it here: http://www.getdemocracy.com/

I hope this is what your looking for qwinkan.

QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwinkan View Post
is this even possible?

thanks (^.^)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki99 View Post
due to the nature of a flash, with all it's action-script and what not. no, you can't get a plug in, it would also be very difficult for them to make one, it's kind of like watching a movie in preview

There are infact quicktime plugins that allow you to view flash. I opened a CD today that I got with "computer arts magazine", clicked on a video to open it and I got a promt about enabling Flash within Quicktime, I clicked yes and I was able to play the Flash file in Quicktime.

Would this have anything to do with me having CS3 with Flash installed?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

There are at least a couple of Firefox extensions that download Flash movies. I have VideoDownloader.

It's icon is placed in Firefox's status bar. On a YouTube page, I click the icon, a window pops up, and I click on Download.

Wimpy FLV Player will play flvs without having to convert them. VLC will, too, but as soon as I click the movie-progress arrow to move it ahead or back, VLC crashes.

Edit: Add .flv to the clip's name after it's downloaded.
QUOTE Thanks
Craig

Craig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM

I use Flash Video Downloader. Nice free little app from freemacware.com.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

If the site allows the video to be cached, as YouTube does, you can wait until the progress bar shows it's fully downloaded, open the browser's cache folder, change it to list by view to see the file sizes, and option-drag the largest file onto the desktop. (The pic is of Firefox's cache.)

Sometimes the cached file disappears, though, so don't wait too long. Option-drag the file to copy it, because if you simply move the file, it still might disappear.

QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

After you download it, is there a way to convert it to mp4 so that you'd be able to dumb it into an iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
After you download it, is there a way to convert it to mp4 so that you'd be able to dumb it into an iPod.
MPEG Streamclip will. From the menu-bar Help:
Quote:
New iPod presets have been added, to support 16:9 movies; the last preset can be used for cellphones as well.
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

Quote:
i know of a way, but it takes a little work, and a little html knowledge. i'm not so sure about safari, but i know it works with firefox... and it all depends on how badly you want it

what you need to do, is on the site with it. go to view>source, than you need to find the file in the code, the best way is to go to edit>find and search '.swf' and hopefully there is only one, but normally you can tell which one you want by the file name, then what you need to do is copy the file location "i.e. http://www.mac-forums.com/afolder/flash.swf " and just that, then, paste it into a textedit document, with plain text on, and around it put

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

of course substituting the file, and what ever text you want, than save it with the extension .html , it should as you if you want to use .txt, or .html (make sure textedit is in plain text mode, not rtf) than open that file in a browser.. ctrl click on the text and hit save link as, or something to that effect.

it's not as much work as it sounds, but it all depends how badly you want the video
thanks ki99, i'll give this a try this weekend =P
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
There are at least a couple of Firefox extensions that download Flash movies. I have VideoDownloader.

It's icon is placed in Firefox's status bar. On a YouTube page, I click the icon, a window pops up, and I click on Download.

Wimpy FLV Player will play flvs without having to convert them. VLC will, too, but as soon as I click the movie-progress arrow to move it ahead or back, VLC crashes.

Edit: Add .flv to the clip's name after it's downloaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I use Flash Video Downloader. Nice free little app from freemacware.com.

are flash/.swf and .flv different things?

I learned a way through activity window, it works with youtube. after it downloads i have to rename it with a .flv at the end and it plays with quicktime. but for some reason I couln't find the file to double click in other sites. (ie. www.asiafinest.com/multimedia/pucca)

i've been using video downloader too and it works well except that it only works on certain sites like youtube.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

Quote:

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

I tried this method and it worked, but I only got the first blank frame, a website, not a video file.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovieHD DV import difficulties | Convert MPEG1 to MPEG2 »