Specs:
    20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
    Streaming videos
    I've just got a mini DVI to S-Video converter and I'm wanting to use FrontRow to stream videos from my PC to my MacBook connected to my TV. Am I right in thinking I can only do this if iTunes is sharing the videos? How do I make iTunes accept DivX's and other file formats? Or is there another program I can use with my remote which will do a similar job?

I was really excited to get home and play with my new toy last night, and was really disappointed to find out I couldn't do what I wanted with it.

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Set your PC to Share the hard drive, including all files and folders below it that lead to your videos.

connect to that drive through your Macbook, should mount on your desktop.

Get Perian codec pack, and install it...this will allow for playback of divx and other formats in Frontrow or quicktime. also you might want VLC media player for OS X (free) and MPlayer for OS X (free).

Once connected to your pc's shared drive. Just open it, and drag the file you want to watch to Quicktime, VLC, or MPlayer...I think full screen command on all of them is Apple+F.

For frontrow viewing, right click, or CTRL+click the shared drive on your Mac Desktop, choose make Alias. Now move that Shortcut into your Movies folder under your Home Directory.

Now activate Frontrow, go down to Movies, and select that Drive, then you should be able to scroll through the media on it and watch it in front row.

Be patient, as over the network it takes time for front row to get the preview going for each video.

best,

Brian

Specs:
    20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
    Wicked awesome dude, that worked perfectly. As you said, it's not lightening at getting previews and opening folders with lots of videos in it, but what can you expect at 54Mbps half duplex?

Thread Information