New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Editing with H.264 manageable?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eon.

eon. is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at getting an HD camcorder that uses H.264 compression but from what I've heard it's no the best codec for editing. I tried to load a 30 second movie clip in H.264 to iMovie and it took a good 5 minutes, I'm afraid if I shoot anything longer than that with my camera that the files will not be manageable for me to edit. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

anyone?

QUOTE Thanks
sjtaylor84

sjtaylor84 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"

I personally would play the files from the camcorder and capture them as they play. Would take longer than just copying the files over but at least that way they're sure to work and be efficient to edit. I don't have too much luck editing in H.264.
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtaylor84 View Post
I personally would play the files from the camcorder and capture them as they play. Would take longer than just copying the files over but at least that way they're sure to work and be efficient to edit. I don't have too much luck editing in H.264.
can you elaborate on that? I'm brand new to video editing what apps are good for capturing streaming video straight from a camera? what codecs are best to use for editing? I'm not doing anything Hollywood quality I just wanna add some music and transition effects to my films
QUOTE Thanks
icespace

icespace is on a distinguished road

iMovie HD will take a long time to load the H.264 format movie.
What I do just convert it to AVI, and it is suitable to edit in iMovie.

Katydid.
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icespace View Post
iMovie HD will take a long time to load the H.264 format movie.
What I do just convert it to AVI, and it is suitable to edit in iMovie.
but doesn't iMovie convert the video into a different format for editing anyway? Would I really be saving time converting to AVI then importing it into iMovie?
QUOTE Thanks
sjtaylor84

sjtaylor84 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"

iMovie converts everything you import into the format you've chosen to make the project in so I don't think you'd be saving any time converting it twice. Plus you run the risk of loosing quality by converting files twice.
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtaylor84 View Post
iMovie converts everything you import into the format you've chosen to make the project in so I don't think you'd be saving any time converting it twice. Plus you run the risk of loosing quality by converting files twice.
I didn't know you could change the format of the project, is it possible to use the H.264 codec then? or did I misunderstand..?
QUOTE Thanks
icespace

icespace is on a distinguished road

I imported H.264 into iMovie, it really took long time, since iMovie may anylize every frame to enable you to edit it. I found that iMovie can handle avi format very quickly, so I just convert them to avi and edit them by iMovie.

Katydid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« import DVD to imovie? | idvd and Toast issues - pls help »