New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How hard is Final Cut Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

I've been using iMovie since I got my Mac, but I began to realise that it just won't cut it for what I do.

Is Final Cut Studio easy to learn? What about Final Cut Express?

I don't know which one to get. Final Cut Express is probably the same level as what I'm used to. But Studio is what I want...but it costs ALOT.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

FCP costs a lot because it does a lot. It is also not so easy to understand and navigate, if you are unfamiliar with professional video editing. That is why it is designed for the professional in mind.

I would suggest that you get the Express version, as it offers much more than iMovie and isn't anywhere near as complicated or complex as FCP.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

and then after you learn fce you can move up after you mastered that.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Or just go on ebay and get fcp 5.1 for a very low price. I got mine for under $400(it was the non-upgradable verson but it still studio). I don't think express is really any easyer then studio because its basically the same thing with out some special stuff and extra programs to make your video better. I had express and now I have pro 5.1.I think that studio is really just a upgrade from express. Once you know express and get pro theirs nutting else really needed to learn exceped the other programs wich you won't need to use much since you can still burn from idvd. So if you have $350 to spend on a final cut I would recomend just geting 5.1. But i'm sure a new express will come out for fcp6.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

If you can afford Pro get pro, if you can't get express. Either one is going to be confusing to you because they are both on the same level. Express just has a few pro features removed that you won't notice.
Make sure you get a tutorial book and spend a weekend reading it/learning the program. I recommend something from peachpit but there are many good books on the programs.
QUOTE Thanks
killedbyinterne

killedbyinterne will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM

Has anyone had experience switching from Adobe Premiere to Final Cut? I'm about to undergo this myself and I'm wondering if the transition was any less difficult because of experience with Premiere.
QUOTE Thanks
planetfiber

planetfiber is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" '09 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram /PB G4 12" 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
I've been using iMovie since I got my Mac, but I began to realise that it just won't cut it for what I do.
Hi, I think you would be better off explaining what is it that you do in order to get a better answer. It all depends on what you need.

Cheers.

I drank what?
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by killedbyinterne View Post
Has anyone had experience switching from Adobe Premiere to Final Cut? I'm about to undergo this myself and I'm wondering if the transition was any less difficult because of experience with Premiere.
I haven't used Premiere before but they both look very much the same, I think if you know premiere good then it shouldn't be hard to change. Take a look at final cut at the apple store and play around with some of the stuff to see if you can handel it. If your a good editor they then it shouldn't take look for you to master it.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
killedbyinterne

killedbyinterne will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM

Thanks for the response CAMERA MAN. I consider myself pretty proficient in Adobe Premiere so I suspect it shouldn't be that hard to learn Final Cut. I'll be making a trip to the Apple store soon just to check things out.
QUOTE Thanks
wyattoons

wyattoons is on a distinguished road

killedbyinterne, if you've been using Premiere Pro, then migrating to FCP should be fairly painless. When Adobe updated Premiere 6.5 to Pro 1.0, they redesigned the interface to be more Final Cut (which has always, suspiciously, looked and worked like the Avid video products). Things will in in different places, obviously, but the two work pretty much the same. Everything seems to be converging into, almost, an industry standard for video editing.

As to the original poster, what is it you are trying to do? Final Cut Studio is a large, expensive package and unless you are setting out to make really professional looking pieces, may well be overkill for you. Will you need Motion or Soundtrack Pro? Will you be authoring DVD's from scratch in DVD Studio Pro? If not, then go with Express, no use paying for programs you won't use. But, if you truly see a need for sound editing in Soundtrack Pro or author in DVD Stusio, then I would definitely consider Studio.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transferring imovie to external hard drive | import DVD to imovie? »