New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Importing to iMovie from Sony Handycam

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ziggy

Ziggy is on a distinguished road

I am currently using a Mac tower G4 system 10.4.9. I recently got a Sony Handycam DCR-HC36. I would like to import from the camera onto my computer to be able to burn DVD's. The computer is having trouble recognizing and importing the movies. Based on the system preferences, the computer knows that the Sony Handycam is attached with the iLink cable. iMovie is not able to view or import this movie. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on fixing this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

Hi, Ziggy. Is your Sony handycam they type of camcorder that records to its own hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Ziggy

The Sony Handycam DCR-HC36 is a miniDV camcorder. So it records onto small tapes.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I did this yesterday for the first time too. It wouldn't see it when I used a usb cable but hen I went to firewire and set the cam to vcr and hit import....there it was. Imported no prob from my Sony digital8 handycam.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Ziggy

I tried it many times with the iLink Firewire cable. iMovie does not realize the camera is attached to import the movie.
QUOTE Thanks
tlrtksftos

tlrtksftos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"

mate, im sorry to tell you that Sony camcorders are NOT compatible with OS X. trust me, i've been there. i Had the Sony HD-URX7 or something, and a Sony mini handycam. they just dont work. and if they do, the files are unstable and can corrupt easily. youre best bet is to get a new camcorder
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmm, I have tried two older Sony camcorders and they've both worked fine. But neither of them had USB connections, so maybe it's only later models that have those that have issues.
QUOTE Thanks
loldham

loldham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Tiger OS

Two days ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and it came with iMovie 08. I was able to connect my DCR-HC36 twice via FireWire 800 to my mac. It downloaded video for about 7 mins each time before the connection between the camcorder and mac would no longer be recognized. As this was a problem I had had with my old dell desktop and same camcorder, I thought it was the camcorder.

I called Sony and they were of no help. They don't have any drivers or updates for DCR-HC36 camcorder and the mac/iMovie 08. They suggested that my FireWire 800 cable may be the issue.

I just spent 2 hours with a Genius at the Apple Store. Turns out that my FireWire 800 cable did seem to be causing problems. Using a FireWire 400, the camcorder and mac were continuously able to recognize each other. However, we discovered that with the FireWire 400 cable iMovie 08 crashed while importing the video and had to "unexpectedly close".

I had to leave, but they said to look through forums and discussion boards for any patches or fixes. I'm curious to know if anyone had this happen with older versions of iMovie as the Sony support mentioned they didn't have any support iMovie 08 - but didn't mention anything about previous versions.

Obviously, I'd like to not have to buy a new camcorder as I just purchased this one. So, helpful and detailed replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldham View Post
Two days ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and it came with iMovie 08. I was able to connect my DCR-HC36 twice via FireWire 800 to my mac. It downloaded video for about 7 mins each time before the connection between the camcorder and mac would no longer be recognized. As this was a problem I had had with my old dell desktop and same camcorder, I thought it was the camcorder.

I called Sony and they were of no help. They don't have any drivers or updates for DCR-HC36 camcorder and the mac/iMovie 08. They suggested that my FireWire 800 cable may be the issue.

I just spent 2 hours with a Genius at the Apple Store. Turns out that my FireWire 800 cable did seem to be causing problems. Using a FireWire 400, the camcorder and mac were continuously able to recognize each other. However, we discovered that with the FireWire 400 cable iMovie 08 crashed while importing the video and had to "unexpectedly close".

I had to leave, but they said to look through forums and discussion boards for any patches or fixes. I'm curious to know if anyone had this happen with older versions of iMovie as the Sony support mentioned they didn't have any support iMovie 08 - but didn't mention anything about previous versions.

Obviously, I'd like to not have to buy a new camcorder as I just purchased this one. So, helpful and detailed replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Can you import with iMovie 06 and the Firewire 400 cable?
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtksftos View Post
mate, im sorry to tell you that Sony camcorders are NOT compatible with OS X. trust me, i've been there. i Had the Sony HD-URX7 or something, and a Sony mini handycam. they just dont work. and if they do, the files are unstable and can corrupt easily. youre best bet is to get a new camcorder
Wrong - My Sony camcorder imports via firewire 400 to my MacBook not a problem at all!!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

A quick look at the manual shows that there are different ways to set the camera up for a computer. Well kind of. They talk about their own software. Anyway the point is to look into that feature.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtksftos View Post
mate, im sorry to tell you that Sony camcorders are NOT compatible with OS X.
BS. I've had a couple hooked up to Macs.

Recently I helped a friend prove there was nothing wrong with his Sony HD camera by hooking it up to my Mac laptop. Being HD it had a couple of settings and depending on if we wanted DV 4:3 or HD transmitted, we had to set the camera up correctly. It worked perfectly once we understood how to set the camera up properly.
QUOTE Thanks
loldham

I do not have a version of iMovie 06 available. My computer is two days old and came with 08 already loaded. Perhaps I could go back to the Apple store to see if they could try it there.

I will also look at the manual again, maybe I missed some different setting the first time.

I also received a reply from Sony this morning - they said that Sony camcorders are supported via firewire but not USB on Macs. I think someone else might have posted this as well, but here's the link to the article they sent me: http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponse.asp?id=213310

I'll post my results - thanks for all the suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

You can download iMovie 06 here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html
QUOTE Thanks
loldham

Thanks! I'll check it out... This won't replace iMovie 08, just offer an alternate program, correct?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« usb webcam low fps | Video URL streaming from iMac to TV Through xbox360 »