New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Editing question on a Mac - output to tv / monitor?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi everyone,

I have been a PC user nearly all my life - I am looking at upgrading to a mac for editing (i tried final cut pro and was so impressed). One question, when I edit on final cut what output's are there on the mac so I can see the image on a TV / monitor (i.e. -svideo, hdmi, composite)?

Or would I need a seperate device?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It depends on what Mac you get. Look at the Apple website to see what kind of video output each model has.

QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

I can't find anything on the mac site. I am looking at either a powerbook or imac.

Can any other video editors help me?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

you would need either a firewire output device like a dv deck or a AJA HD IO or you would need a capture card (only available on mac pro and powermac) nothing can be purchased from apple.

If you are going to be getting a powerbook or a imac you probably are not going to be doing anything professional so I am thinking just a dv deck will suit you fine.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

If you go with an iMac or Macbook Pro, and the dv deck is out of your price range, you can just use a standard camcorder as your deck. Just use the cables that came with your camcorder, plug them into your TV. Then launch final cut, and then do the normal steps to detect and connect to a dv deck...

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
you would need either a firewire output device like a dv deck or a AJA HD IO or you would need a capture card (only available on mac pro and powermac) nothing can be purchased from apple.

If you are going to be getting a powerbook or a imac you probably are not going to be doing anything professional so I am thinking just a dv deck will suit you fine.
No, i'm actually doing music videos. I am setting up a company and have been working freelance so far editing on a PC with premiere pro, which until now has suited me fine. - so yeah, it's pro work.

The problem is, at this stage I need a mac, but cannot afford a powermac, they cost a fortune in the UK. I was lead to beleive that a mac will edit whatever (even HD) without the need for an extra capture card.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

Yeah, you can do this.
I think the other people were mixing up capturing and displaying...or something.

All you need is a imac, macbook pro, macpro, powermac, or any other mac with dual display support.
For SD:
All you need is a cable from Apple that converts to video out (s-video/composite). For example, for a macpro or macbook pro you need a DVI to video adapter. Then just plus your monitor into the adapter and set up the monitor in FCP (check the manual). Also make sure you arn't in display mirroring mode.

For HD:
Same as before, only you don't need the adapter (unless you are using HDMI, then you need a DVI to HDMI adapter), Just plug your computer into an HD monitor. This won't work with any mac with analog out (not a problem with any current-gen mac).
QUOTE Thanks
planetfiber

planetfiber is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min

Also, like xtreeme and pb hinted,

either SD or HD you can get you carmcorder (or deck) to output your image to a TV. From the Mac via firewire to the deck and from the deck to the tv (most likely via RCA cables).

cheers.

I drank what?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading from student license Final Cut to Pro license | Uploading a final cut quicktime onto a windows machine »