Considering The Switch, Looking For Advice
    I was raised on pc's with Windows. I'm not looking to never use a pc again but I'm considering getting a MacBook. My main reason is that I take alot of digital pic's and have a growing library of MiniDV video tapes. I'd like to get the video off the tapes and converted to dvd's. Everything I've read about this process on pc's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Problems range from expensive equipment to out of sync sound and picture. I was wondering how the video conversion process works on the MacBook and is it worth it to invest my $$.

Specs:
    24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
    Hi,

Made the switch last October. Initially it was junk! But stick with it..... It is definitely MUCH BETTER using a Mac. I have my PC and Mac side by side on my desk. Now I rarely switch my PC on. Like it says on Apples website. Apple Macs just work. They really, really do. No crashes,.. boot up fast and the OS is so elegant. But like I said. It will take you months to get used to the way a Mac works but stick with it... you won't go back.

I think if you're going to work on video a MacBook Pro would be better but even if you buy a Macbook get 2gigs of ram.

Specs:
    dont currently own a mac unfortunatly
    I currently see no bad points of buying a mac, its more stable, reliable etc., plus if you realy hate it you can use windows on it via boot camp.

Worth The Switch For Video Editing Purposes?
    I originally posted this in the Switcher Hangout but probably should have posted here:

I was raised on pc's with Windows. I'm not looking to never use a pc again but I'm considering getting a MacBook. My main reason is that I take alot of digital pic's and have a growing library of MiniDV video tapes. I'd like to get the video off the tapes and converted to dvd's. Everything I've read about this process on pc's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Problems range from expensive equipment to out of sync sound and picture. I was wondering how the video conversion process works on the MacBook and is it worth it to invest my $$.

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Personally, Absolutely!

I have also tried video editing on Windows PCs and it is a hassle at best. The built in software is a memory hog, and it freezes up constantly, the stuff you buy, is easier, but still flaky at times, and fairly expensive.

I use iMovie. I connect my camera, import the video, cut, adjust, mess with, and save. Then export to whatever format I need.

I've used miniDV camera, and HDD cameras, and no issues yet. Only trick with HDD is coverting the video files to an appropriate format, but it's the same on Windows.

If you have the money, I would suggest it. Also, you might just figure out that macs are the way to go all the time.

Best,

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I'm not ready to drop the money on a MacBook Pro yet but I was wondering if the standard MacBook would fit my needs. For the most part I'm looking to copy from my miniDV to the Mac and then burn onto dvd. I'm not looking to get into heavy editing or effects. Just more or less wanted to create some dvd's for the family to share.

a regular mac book is not at all far behind a macbook pro. if anything it has a .16 processor increase (woopde!) its by far bigger than a regular. and the keyboard lights up. i personally think no where worth the extra cash at all! but thats just one macbook owners opinion.

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Crazytreeman is right. The only other difference that i know of is the video card. Had I known enough to wait for the macbook, I probably would have gotten it over the mbp, but I certainly couldn't say that I'm unhappy with my purchase.

Best,

Brian

So the MacBook has the port necessary to connect to the miniDV video camera? And also, it comes with software to complete the transfer and burn a dvd? The only accessory I would need is a cable?

Thread Information