New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Worth The Switch For Video Editing Purposes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jte1130

jte1130 is on a distinguished road

I was raised on pc's with Windows. I'm not looking to never use a pc again but I'm considering getting a MacBook. My main reason is that I take alot of digital pic's and have a growing library of MiniDV video tapes. I'd like to get the video off the tapes and converted to dvd's. Everything I've read about this process on pc's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Problems range from expensive equipment to out of sync sound and picture. I was wondering how the video conversion process works on the MacBook and is it worth it to invest my $$.
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

Hi,

Made the switch last October. Initially it was junk! But stick with it..... It is definitely MUCH BETTER using a Mac. I have my PC and Mac side by side on my desk. Now I rarely switch my PC on. Like it says on Apples website. Apple Macs just work. They really, really do. No crashes,.. boot up fast and the OS is so elegant. But like I said. It will take you months to get used to the way a Mac works but stick with it... you won't go back.

I think if you're going to work on video a MacBook Pro would be better but even if you buy a Macbook get 2gigs of ram.
QUOTE Thanks
leeds_fan

leeds_fan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dont currently own a mac unfortunatly

I currently see no bad points of buying a mac, its more stable, reliable etc., plus if you realy hate it you can use windows on it via boot camp.
QUOTE Thanks
jte1130

I originally posted this in the Switcher Hangout but probably should have posted here:

I was raised on pc's with Windows. I'm not looking to never use a pc again but I'm considering getting a MacBook. My main reason is that I take alot of digital pic's and have a growing library of MiniDV video tapes. I'd like to get the video off the tapes and converted to dvd's. Everything I've read about this process on pc's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Problems range from expensive equipment to out of sync sound and picture. I was wondering how the video conversion process works on the MacBook and is it worth it to invest my $$.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

Personally, Absolutely!

I have also tried video editing on Windows PCs and it is a hassle at best. The built in software is a memory hog, and it freezes up constantly, the stuff you buy, is easier, but still flaky at times, and fairly expensive.

I use iMovie. I connect my camera, import the video, cut, adjust, mess with, and save. Then export to whatever format I need.

I've used miniDV camera, and HDD cameras, and no issues yet. Only trick with HDD is coverting the video files to an appropriate format, but it's the same on Windows.

If you have the money, I would suggest it. Also, you might just figure out that macs are the way to go all the time.

Best,

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
jte1130

Thanks for the info Brian. I'm not ready to drop the money on a MacBook Pro yet but I was wondering if the standard MacBook would fit my needs. For the most part I'm looking to copy from my miniDV to the Mac and then burn onto dvd. I'm not looking to get into heavy editing or effects. Just more or less wanted to create some dvd's for the family to share.
QUOTE Thanks
crazytreeman

crazytreeman is on a distinguished road

a regular mac book is not at all far behind a macbook pro. if anything it has a .16 processor increase (woopde!) its by far bigger than a regular. and the keyboard lights up. i personally think no where worth the extra cash at all! but thats just one macbook owners opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

Crazytreeman is right. The only other difference that i know of is the video card. Had I known enough to wait for the macbook, I probably would have gotten it over the mbp, but I certainly couldn't say that I'm unhappy with my purchase.

Best,

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
jte1130

So the MacBook has the port necessary to connect to the miniDV video camera? And also, it comes with software to complete the transfer and burn a dvd? The only accessory I would need is a cable?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro 5.1 and RAM | apple dvi video adapter »