New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How do I copy my movies?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zarly

zarly is on a distinguished road

Can anyone give me advice on how to copy my DVD's to my computer so I can back them up on my external hard drive? Do you need a special program to decode store bought DVD's? I put Road Warrior in my new LaCie external DVD burner but it said it wasn't able to copy the contents of the disk.

Thanks for any help!

ZDW.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarly View Post
Can anyone give me advice on how to copy my DVD's to my computer so I can back them up on my external hard drive? Do you need a special program to decode store bought DVD's? I put Road Warrior in my new LaCie external DVD burner but it said it wasn't able to copy the contents of the disk.

Thanks for any help!

ZDW.
Mac the ripper seems pretty good. I normally try to rip a copy of DVDs I buy, as both me and my 3 year old daughter are rabid DVD scratchers.

It's actually getting more and more tricky to do now though. I can rip older DVDs with no problem, but a lot of new releases are pretty well protected - sometimes you just can't copy them, as far as I can tell.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

If you want to make a compressed .avi or .mp4 version, use Handbrake.
QUOTE Thanks
geminifiend

geminifiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
Mac the ripper seems pretty good. I normally try to rip a copy of DVDs I buy, as both me and my 3 year old daughter are rabid DVD scratchers.

It's actually getting more and more tricky to do now though. I can rip older DVDs with no problem, but a lot of new releases are pretty well protected - sometimes you just can't copy them, as far as I can tell.
I agree with you.. I use mac the ripper and it's working just fine. I also use DVD Copy which also converts all types of movie files.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Mac-Forum @ Flickr
My Flickr Page!
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminifiend View Post
I agree with you.. I use mac the ripper and it's working just fine. I also use DVD Copy which also converts all types of movie files.
Any idea what the restrictions are on the trial version? I'd be interested to see if it will do the ones Mac the ripper won't.

I wish companies would tell you what they've crippled . . . I can't stand downloading and installing a trial version to find out it'll only rip 10 minutes or something!
QUOTE Thanks
crazytreeman

crazytreeman is on a distinguished road

does anyone think buying some dvd copying software can rip the newer releases that mac the ripper seams to be slipping up on?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The current MacTheRipper Beta can handle most of those, but it's not free. The "suggested donation" is $34, or wait for MTR 3 to be released, which will be the second Tuesday in whenever....

QUOTE Thanks
vedder10

vedder10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive

I just downloaded handbrake but the process takes so long for one dvd. I was wondering once I copy it from handbrake what do I have to do to get the mpeg 4 on to a psp? Can this be done? I want to watch movies on my computer and buy a psp because it has the bigger screen then and ipod. Does anyone have any suggesstions. I don't want to have to purchase multiple formats of movies. Just dvd's and maybe an occasional itunes movies purchase however I can't convert those from what I have been told.
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

I agree: MacTheRipper. Then I use Toast to burn the DVD. Good luck~
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder10 View Post
I just downloaded handbrake but the process takes so long for one dvd. I was wondering once I copy it from handbrake what do I have to do to get the mpeg 4 on to a psp? Can this be done? I want to watch movies on my computer and buy a psp because it has the bigger screen then and ipod. Does anyone have any suggesstions. I don't want to have to purchase multiple formats of movies. Just dvd's and maybe an occasional itunes movies purchase however I can't convert those from what I have been told.
Check the Handbrake forums. There are threads about what the settings need to be for the PSP IIRC.

QUOTE Thanks
geminifiend

geminifiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
Any idea what the restrictions are on the trial version? I'd be interested to see if it will do the ones Mac the ripper won't.

I wish companies would tell you what they've crippled . . . I can't stand downloading and installing a trial version to find out it'll only rip 10 minutes or something!
Mac The Ripper is a freeware and it only rips DVDs not CDs. So it'll let you rip the whole DVD Then you can use quicktime pro or reelbean to encode them to a smaller file size so you can burn it faster in Toast. Normally one movie with a two hour show rips 30mins. to 1hour.

I hope this helps.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Mac-Forum @ Flickr
My Flickr Page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any Digital Hub Users? | Dvd Region codes »