New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Dvd Region codes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

magnumpi

magnumpi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: emac and macbook pro 15"

Hi everyone. I was a bit surprised to discover the mbp restricts the playing of dvds to only one region code. Is there a way around this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you are surprised you have not purchased many DVD drives or players.
There is not a single computer manufacturer (that I am aware of) that ship a region free DVD drive in their systems.

In order to manufacture a DVD drive, the manufacturer has to obtain a license from the DVD CCA, which mandates among other things that they must support region code. All DVD rom drives manufactured since Jan. 1, 2000 have been limited to a maximum of 5 changes of region.

The only way around this is to find a 3rd party that has hacked the particular drive you have and has put out a firmware update for it.
And while I don't care for this brand of DRM either, I personally do not have the money to travel around the world, thus am not collecting DVD's from all over the place and have never found this to be a real inconvenience.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Check this at Mac OSX Hints. Scroll down to read the qualifiers.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Check this at Mac OSX Hints. Scroll down to read the qualifiers.
Thanks Brown, forgot about VLC.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Not a Hardware issue. Thread moved.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And while I don't care for this brand of DRM either, I personally do not have the money to travel around the world, thus am not collecting DVD's from all over the place and have never found this to be a real inconvenience.
Yea but Computers weren't made for you alone.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
Yea but Computers weren't made for you alone.
+1. I buy dvds online because they often don't get a cinema or dvd release here in Australia. If your Mac is a media center it's a little restrictive if you can't region-free.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Don't get mad at me guys. While the region encoding has never been an issue for me here in the US getting the movies I want, I can certainly understand how this would hamper some in other parts of the world.

You want to get on someone's case though, you need to look at the DVD CCA and the movie studios. That is where our fight is, not with each other.

QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Don't get mad at me guys. While the region encoding has never been an issue for me here in the US getting the movies I want, I can certainly understand how this would hamper some in other parts of the world.
It all comes down to taste, I mean some Films, TV Shows or Documentaries aren't always released Worldwide, so you have to import goods some time and simply because your taste is different from the rest of the Nation why should you be hampered in that.

But we are lucky there is people that dedicate their time to breaking these codes to prevent the non-sense of Region Codes and other forms of DRM Protection.

Wasn't having a go, just simply pointing out that when designing something you need to know that for some people just the standard isn't what they are looking for and if you can make it easier you should, so basically o need to put barriers up in the first place.

As soon as content owners realise this, then the better.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Shinji

Shinji is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz

I have been using the VLC player to play DVDs before and it worked fine no problems, but of late I have been getting this error message when I tried to play a DVD from VLC

Any help on what is wrong?

Thanks
Billy
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Will the DVD continue to play if you click "Do not display further errors," then "Dismiss"?

VLC popped that up with each video I played at the Internet Archive and does so with some WMA and WMV files and links. But in most cases it continues without interruption after I click both.
QUOTE Thanks
Shinji

Quote:
Will the DVD continue to play if you click "Do not display further errors," then "Dismiss"?
Haven't try that combo yet....but I did hit "Dismiss" without the checking "Do not display further errors" it just comes up with more errors and DVD still doesn't play.

I tried not going thru the DVD menu and skipping chapters to see if I could get it going, but still won't play

Billy
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

You want to get on someone's case though, you need to look at the DVD CCA and the movie studios. That is where our fight is, not with each other.

Not having a go at you mate.

Let freedom reign.
QUOTE Thanks
Shinji

Quote:
Finally tried out the above combo...and the DVD movie still wouldn't play

Any more suggestions?

Cheers
Billy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I copy my movies? | Help appreciated »