Mac Pro or G5 for video editing with FCP? Which set up is best?
    Hi everyone,
    I'm doing video editing using FCP 4.0 on an older G4 and want to get a Mac Pro and either upgrade to FCP 6.0 or get FCP studio 2.

I"m wondering what the best system set up is- for feature length projects, corporate stuff, FCP and after effects.

-Should I eat rice and beans for the next few years to get a Mac Pro or would I be fine with a Power Mac G5?
    -If I do plunge and get the Mac Pro, should I go with the quad or the 8-core- does the difference in speed really make a difference?
    -How much ram, what video card, how many GHz would you recommend?
    -Does it make sense to buy anything refurbished and has anyone had good experience with reputable sellers?

Thanks in advance!

I am not as qualified to speak on video, but I can say that for audio, DAW software, plug ins and the like, I would shoot for a tricked out G5. Because the intel processors won't work as well with a lot of the software; stuff isn't ironed out yet. I would feel much more comfortable with a powerful G5 and some large capacity HD's. Is this relevant to video? It could be that some of the software and after effects you're looking at will work better with a power pc.

Hope this helps.

Specs:
    Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I am not as qualified to speak on video, but I can say that for audio, DAW software, plug ins and the like, I would shoot for a tricked out G5. Because the intel processors won't work as well with a lot of the software; stuff isn't ironed out yet. I would feel much more comfortable with a powerful G5 and some large capacity HD's. Is this relevant to video? It could be that some of the software and after effects you're looking at will work better with a power pc.

Hope this helps.
    I can see what your saying but I'm not sure on the intel Mac Pros, I would think that apple would get the intels to work as good or even better with the apps but I don't have a intel mac so I'm not sure. Back to the topic what kind of video are you editing, and what events, if you edit HD stuff u will need at lest 2gb of ram to be ok and 4gb to be fine. SD 1 or 2gbs is ok. So give us a idea so we can help you out more.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Is FCP 6 of FCP2 Studio a Universal Binary? If yes, then go for a MacPro. If no, go for a G5. Pretty simple really.

Thread Information