New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Video Size

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBannister

JBannister is on a distinguished road

So I put this video on my hard drive from my camera and I used Popcorn to turn it into a divx file to actually view it. Now I'm using MPEG Streamclip to cut it and trim it and what not but when I export it in an .mov file it makes a huge file. The whole movie as a divx was like 600mb and for like 2 minutes of .mov is like 200mb. What is the closest file size to divx when I export out of Streamclip?
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

First, what file type is it before you make it divx?

2nd, you can probably use MPEGstreamclip to view it in it's original form, and edit it there.

3rd. You can use iMovie to edit it also, and it will make a large project file, but when you export you can choose .mp4 and make the aspect ratio, bitrate, and audio quality setting the way you want, so that it won't bee too large a file.

MPEGStreamcliip is probably exporting it at full quality, not compressed, which is what I'm sure you are used to seeing in .mov, .avi, .mp4 etc.

Best,

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
JBannister

JBannister is on a distinguished road

Well when I record it from the camera to the computer it records it as an mpg. But it comes up with an error says movie could not be played. So I use popcorn to make it playable and I found that if I do it in divx then the audio and video are in sync together. If I try to do it as a .mov off the bat the they are not in sync together. And when I try to view it in streamclip as its original then it doesnt show anything, it just runs through the video with no sound or video. If I put the whole thing in iMovie it will take forever cause the video is like 60 mins.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

try ffmpegX to covert from the DivX to mp4 format, and see if it is still close to the same size.

Once you install ffmpegX to the applications folder, you will have to download three more pieces of software (codecs) and put them in the places that it looks for them, or tell it where you put them.

then use it and see if it will do it.

If not, I have had great success with Visual hub to conver avi to .mp4, but it costs like 20 or 30 bucks.

Best,

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You could probably simply take the original mpg file from your camera and run it through VisualHub (worth the $$$ btw) have i convert it to MP4 and have it work fine. I've done this a number of times and it makes life a lot easier.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini and FCP? ** | Uninstall Final Cut Pro Studio 5.1 »