New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Trouble moving VOB files to HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilly

neilly is on a distinguished road

I have a DVD of Xbox 360 screen capture (using my DVD recorder) in the VOB format and if I try to copy them to my Hard Drive from my iMac's DVD reader, they just fail at random points in the file (with a -36 error).

Is this something wrong with my DVD reader?

Any help gratefully appreciated, as I'm presently downloading the files onto my mp3 player via my linux PC and transferring them to the HD that way. Which is a pain to say the least.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

MPEG Streamclip.

Drag the .vob file/s you want from the DVD into MPEG Streamclip. If there are additional .vob files associated with the one you’ve dragged into the program, you’ll be asked if you’d like to import all the parts. Yes, you would.

Then just save them to your Hard Drive.

This is the method involved when the DVD has a movie on it. I don't know if this will also work for your collection of stills. You can only give it a go IMO.

You could also try opening the DVD using VLC.
QUOTE Thanks
neilly

neilly is on a distinguished road

The content is a movie, and previously all I did was drag the VOB file from the DVD to my HD and then run it through DIVA to get into an avi format...now that doesnt work, as it fails in the copying stage.

I've just tested with a bought DVD (The Big Lebowski...brilliant movie ) and was able to copy a 1Gb VOB file to the HD without any problem, so I guess the optical drive is fine. However I also tried an old DVD of captured 360 output that I had previously copied and ran through DIVA without any problems and i'm unable to copy any of the VOB files from it successfully.

This has me stumped....do you think trying a different brand of recordable DVDs would help?

p.s. I tried your MPEG Streamclip suggestion but it hung on copying the VOB file also.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Capture App??? | Missing the icon preview for Movies? Solution here! »