New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Recommended Mac Pro specs for video editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

somedude

somedude is on a distinguished road

I am considering getting a Mac Pro tower for video editing with the Final Cut Suite. Right now I use an iBook G4, but as you can imagine it is slow with rendering and other processor intensive tasks.

What specs would you recommend for a Mac Pro setup? I know you can max out the RAM and hard drives, but how much is really necessary?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

what is your level of professionalism... do you edit your home videos? do you edit weddings/ other events? are you a free lance editor for MTV? a little bit more information would help us better recommend specs.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
somedude

I do weddings, short commercials for inventions or businesses, and brief 10-15 min promos or full DVDs for non-profits. I am not quite a freelancer for MTV, but I do pretty high quality videos.

Hope the info helps.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally would recommend the fastest processor you can afford - first - especially for encoding tasks - this you'll never regret

For the RAM - you can get after market 2GB kits for less than the upgrade from 1 to 2 GB from Apple. Would start there and watch your RAM usage. If you are pretty consistently using 80% +, then would opt for another 2GB kit. Think at 4GB, this should handle pretty much anything you throw at it with negligible gains with any more than this.

Don't have a Mac Pro and am new to Apple so I don't know how you set this up, so am speaking from just a plain hardware enthusiast perspective here. Would set up a system disk for your OS, and then a RAID 0 with a couple of drives that would be used for your video work. And of course, separate drive(s) for back up would probably be pretty important for you.

Of course, unless you have plenty of $$ you have to weigh the options between the processors and proper hard drive set ups. Just remember - processor is expensive upgrade option down the road and you then have one sitting around or having to try to e-bay it, while RAM and hard drives are pretty cheap upgrades down the road.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Are you shooting DV or HD? If you are shooting DV, then a mac pro with less than 4GB ram will do very well. Since you are doing this for profit, I assume, you dont want to waste your time with long renders and stuff. You probability want to get some external hard drive (500+ GB for starting...)
If you are shooting HD, you should buy as much Ram as you can afford. And you probability should get 2 or 3 500+GB drives.

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

yea if your doing HD work make sure your mac pro is at lest 2.6ghz or higher, that makes a big diff. A high end video card is something you will need to 256mb will do it.
QUOTE Thanks
somedude

What's the difference with Video Cards? I know there's a lot of options, but what do you really need?

Also, how many external hard drives do I need. Right now I use a 320 and 500 GB Lacie drives, but I'd like to just buy an enclosure or two and just pop them into one of the Mac Pro bays.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imovie help! | .mov file help!! »