New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Can you "play" a disk image?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I was thinking of transferring my DVD collection over to disk storage and getting a Mac Mini to use as a media center computer, but I'm worried about loss of quality and DVD extras when I just record the movie to MP4 format.

I think I can just copy a disk image, which is just exactly what''s on the disk, but can I get a computer to "play" it as it would a physical DVD? I'm not too well-informed about these things, so I may be off-base here. I just want to retain the DVD video and audio quality and keep the DVD extras if possible.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

You can rip DVDs with misc. software and you will get a Video_TS and AUDIO_TS folder containing the contents of the DVD.

VLC Media Player can "play" these folders just as if it were a real dVD. Not sure about the extras, though.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have a few movies that way for storage and I just click the image and it mounts then play it like a normal DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

I tried copying the files directly from the DVD, but I get an error saying I don't have sufficient privilege. I suppose I need the software. What software will make a copy and keep the same quality as the DVD itself? I've used Handbrake, but it seems like the video/audio quality go way down in the process.
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

I've never used handbrake, but as far as I know it's supposed to rip DVD's with no compression.

I use MacTheRipper
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

use mactheripper for this...

also dvdPlayer will play the video ts files as well, no use for vlc in this case
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post

also dvdPlayer will play the video ts files as well, no use for vlc in this case
-chris
Yes on both counts.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post

-chris
I ripped the DVD using MacTheRipper and copied it all over, but VLC is no use since you can't select screen options and are essentially stuck on the main menu.

I'm not sure what DVD Player you're referring to. If dvdPlayer is a program, where can I get it? I tried using the DVD Player on my Mac to play the TS files, but it says the type is unsupported, which I think is very strange since it's directly from the DVD.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I ripped the DVD using MacTheRipper and copied it all over, but VLC is no use since you can't select screen options and are essentially stuck on the main menu.

I'm not sure what DVD Player you're referring to. If dvdPlayer is a program, where can I get it? I tried using the DVD Player on my Mac to play the TS files, but it says the type is unsupported, which I think is very strange since it's directly from the DVD.

Thanks again.
Which Mac do you own? Which OSX? DVD Player is right in the Applications folder and has been since for sure 10.2. That is what coach is talking about. The only time DVD Player is not installed is if your Mac does not have an internal DVD ROM installed.

Also remember to mount the image.

Here is a screen capture of me playing a DVD that I have stored in an Disc Image with OSX's DVD Player.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dvd.jpg (54.2 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Ah, got it to work. I tried opening the entire file folder containing audio and video TS folders, which didn't work. I had to select the video folder only. I thought it would leave the audio out, but it played fine.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook/imovie/sonyDV question (new guy) | Vcd »