New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Apple DVD Player quit on me....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geordie

Hello,
Apple's DVD Player app recently quit on me. Clicking on it, or inserting a DVD, sees it begin to load and then immediately quit. It bounces on the dock for about 1/2 a second and then disappears. Checking the error logs I found this:
Date/Time: 2004-04-15 01:39:22 +0900
OS Version: 10.3.3
Report Version: 2

Command: DVD Player
Path: /Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/MacOS/DVD Player
Version: ??? (???)
PID: 503
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/MacOS/DVD Player can't open library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

When I look under the above (System/library/privateframeworks/...there is no HIServices.framework.
I have done a search and deleted all files associated with DVD Player, then reinstalled off of Apple's website. I also tried a "Software Restore" off of my system Cds. Nothing seems to work.
I can't even get into the program to try and play around with preferences etc.
Does anyone have any idea what I could have done?
Thanks for you help,
Geordie

P.S. I always try to think of recent installs etc. that might have been a catalyst.
Following advice from the March 2004 MacHome Magazine "Spring Cleaning" column I erased all receipts in my System/Library folder. This was VERY BAD advice. Thereafter I couldn't perform Permission repairs, and was forced to download updates to several hardware devices that were already up to date. Anyways, reprecussions continue to trickle in. I would NEVER screw around in my Systems folder, but I thought I could trust the mag....BIG mistake, one VERY UNHAPPY customer....oh, and they got a letter too
Thanks again,
Geordie
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

That must be very frustrating. If repair permissions can't work maybe it's time to boot in single user mode (hold command S after tone) and type fsck until ****FILE SYSTEM CHANGED**** stops showing
QUOTE Thanks
onefive

Geordie,
I had the same problem as you did with Apple’s DVD app - The DVD player icon bounced in the dock for about 1/2 a second and then quit.

I was searching around, and here is the solution that worked for me:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=58448

Download the dvdplayerextractor.sh.zip from the above link and run the script. You need to have the OSX Install Disc 1 in first before you run the script. After the script is done everything should be fixed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hi8 to DVD | Avi - To - VOB »