New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Final Cut Pro - Fire Error: Unknown File

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Hey guys,
I am having an issue with saving in final cut pro, I get alot of work done, then after I want to save it, it says "File Error:unknown File" It only happens (so far) when working with DVCAM, and does not do this while working in any other format. I really need to straighten this issue out because its slowing me down in my work. I have tried everything including deleting the .plist files for final cut, and repairing permisions.. next step if nobody here can help me is to reformat and put all my work on an external.

I have attached a screen shot of my problem below, if anybody knows why this is happenening it would be greatly appricieated since I have no clue why.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (115.1 KB, 33 views)

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

ouch I stumped everybody!

Just letting you guys know that I am currently re-insalling everything on the computer, completely fresh, and wil let you know if the problem persists, and how I go about fixing it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jmunson@airemus

jmunson@airemus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)

I've had the same thing while working on a very important project.

The only way I found that it would save it was to save as change the name and then move it to a completely different HD

Don't know if that will help!!

Let me know!:bone:

www.rustyandhamishproductions.com
May the farce be with you...:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Yeah sounds like you only had one option

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
iloveAppleZ

iloveAppleZ is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem sometimes...Usually happens when I have been working on a project for a long period of time and have a lot of assets in Final Cut. Eventhough, I have not found a solution that works whenever this happens I set my autosave to save a copy every minute then wait a minute close it out, re-open the copy from the auto save vault and replace the project file and continue working. This way you will not lose any of your work. Until someone posts a solution that works this is what I ill have to do!
QUOTE Thanks
mashkar23

mashkar23 is on a distinguished road

All you have to do is save as to any other location, then come back and save as in the original location your scratch disk was set up, change the name and continue working on the new file that is in your original folder, that way you wont have any problems with unlinked files and you wont be wasting any space. I hope it made sense the way i explained it.. Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
bucky420

bucky420 is on a distinguished road

It's a framerate problem. Try re-encoding the video at 24 frames per second.
QUOTE Thanks
Saimurai

Saimurai is on a distinguished road

So there i was, still editing a 23:30 from 12:00 this afternoon, fully intending on continuing until the birds sing and i decide to hit RENDER to survey some recently clipped clips. BAM. "Codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card." and then shortly following "fxscript error : unknown error". How helpful.

(Would it be too much to ask for a computer to say, "Error. Fix it with the following...")

Now before i melted down the mouse to use as a sharp projectile-able device to insert between my eyes, or reached for a trusty flat blade, i did a little error search and found this site. I realise the post was 5 years old but i found it and it was relevant to me in the distant future of 2012. So, as im sure all involved up until now have either solved the issue, died waiting for another more helpful answer or just moved on with their lives, this post is aimed at any future 'me-type' people who need this solution.

'Bucky420' spurned the brain juices on with his helpful but at first illusive comment, "It's a framerate problem." After shouting obscenities at the screen, i got to thinking; what was the last thing i did before this error started...? I imported a previously exported company sting into the project and, deciding to go for full quality instead, dropped it's source Template into the timeline from the Master Templates folder in Effects...

I found that this error was caused by placing 29.92fps Motion template into a timeline in FCP which was 25fps. Why it was 29.97fps are for reasons known only to itself, so i opened the template in Motion, copied the layers into a new project (set at 25fps) saved the new template with the name 'Saiko Sting 25fps' jumped back into FCP and then just dragged the new one over the old one in the timeline...Bingo. Rendering was re-enabled. All joy. No poo. My overnight editing session can resume.

Good luck folks, Keep fighting the good fight.

Saimurai
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Video Converter ??? | Using Ext Mic in STP »