New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie Audio problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitchww

mitchww is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm new to Mac. Imported my first video into iMovie from my mini-DV camcorder using Firewire 400 and my macbook pro 2.16 GHz with 1G RAM. Importing seemed to go smoothing but as the video was importing I could hear audio drops and distortion and "skips".

I thought it might only be happening during the importing process but I hear the same audio problems and the occasional video skip during iMovie playback. I do NOT hear the problems when I play back the original tape on the camcorder.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mitch
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You might want to check you audio setting on the camera (iMovie: Use 16-bit audio for best results).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mitchww

Thanks for the idea. I switched the camera to 16 bit but the problem is just as bad. Article you referenced mentions sync problems with 12-bit audo after sending to quicktime or iDVD. My audio hiccups are occuring during importing to iMovie.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'm searching myself of course but not sure the best search terms to use.

Thanks,
Mitch
QUOTE Thanks
bmw3sons

bmw3sons is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issues. My video feed in from the camcorder (at 16-bit) had not only perfect audio on the tape...but also perfect playback within iMovie. After several hours...however...of working on the large iMovie project (about 60 Gig)...the audio hiccups started. I'm extremely frustrated. My project needs to be completed within in a week. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mitchww

I dont know much about this except that you have to RECORD with 16 bit audio.

If it was recorded with a different setting, I dont know of a way to use it in imovie without the problems noted above.

Note though, my knowledge of this stuff is very limited.
QUOTE Thanks
Worf

Worf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3sons View Post
I am having the same issues. My video feed in from the camcorder (at 16-bit) had not only perfect audio on the tape...but also perfect playback within iMovie. After several hours...however...of working on the large iMovie project (about 60 Gig)...the audio hiccups started. I'm extremely frustrated. My project needs to be completed within in a week. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having this same exact problem, and apparently not the only one (after extensive internet search). Yet no one seems to have a solution. The Apple folks really need to get on this situation!

W
QUOTE Thanks
mitchww

Is your audio RECORDED in 16 bit? I made that change and havent seen any problems since. I dont work with video all that intensely though.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

For the 32kHz/12-bit issue all roads seem to lead to conversion of the audio. For FC it looks like a project maybe able to be set to that format, but that is only good if all of the audio is that format.

Have any of you looked at ways to export the audio to the right format, and bring it back in?

You should also confirm this is the possible problem. Open the .DV file with QuickTime and do a command-I on the content to see what it thinks the audio setting is. If you have QT Pro, then you can export that audio right from there.

What I'd try is to import the file from the camera, then immediately export as the same video type but with the audio settings changed. Then import that file into your project. Or just export the audio and bring that back in.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
xntrick

xntrick is on a distinguished road

How about:
After 1.5 hours in my iMovie project the -
1. clip iCons turn blank
2. audio playback goes silent (headphone out from the iMac)

12 vs. 16 bit? (I'll check)
Project more than 20 minutes? (That wasn't part of the Mac advertising)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« only able to load about 10 mins before dvd full in iDVD | FCE cuts export short »