New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Burning 170 MB Episodes to DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stlboi

stlboi is on a distinguished road

Okay, I'm trying to burn .avi anime episodes that are usually no more than 170 MB each. For some reason, I can only get like 3 episodes on one 4.7 GB DVD. Why is this? I'm using iDVD to create a simple menu (portfolio colored). How can I fit more episodes on one DVD? I know there's a possibility with compression. But how do I save the DVD project, compress it, and burn it? Someone told me use Toast, but I can't figure out how to get the DVD Project into toast to burn. HELP!

p.s. - new to macs
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What iDVD creates is an MPEG2 of your video. So your 170MB files are likely becoming much bigger. Do a Get Info on your iDVD project file and see how big it is before and after creating a DVD. I think, not sure, you might be limited to around 2hrs total of content on a 4.7GB disk. That is my experience.

I'm more curious about how your managing to use avi sources.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

What do you mean?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What part of what I said don't you understand?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
What iDVD creates is an MPEG2 of your video. So your 170MB files are likely becoming much bigger. Do a Get Info on your iDVD project file and see how big it is before and after creating a DVD.
Yeah, I've found this out too, as I've just been creating some DVD's to send to my brother in US. I've used HandBrake to compress the movies, imported them into iMove, added Chapters etc and voila! The collective size of my compressed movies suddenly can't fit on a DVD.... I figured that iMovie must be adding some extra weight somewhere along the line...
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

iDVD converts your AVI's into a format called MPEG2. Now MPEG 2 is the only format that's compatible with iDVD and finally your TV. So iDVD converts your AVI files.

It so happens that AVI is a better compression technology, meaning more info is stored on less space. But since we're converting to MPEG2, your files get larger, gaining nothing in quality.

That's why you're only able to fit 3 episodes on a dvd. To my knowledge, there's no way of puttin AVI to DVD in a way that you can play it back with menu and all.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

You can convert an .avi to DVD format (video_ts audio_ts) using ffmpegX. I have achieved this using the convert to DVD ffmpeg setting then successfully testing the result using DVD Player. As far as menus go I have only ever created chapters in iMovie and menus in iDVD.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
What part of what I said don't you understand?
Something about how I manage my .avi sources or something.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iDVD Jitter Problems | creating videos for youtube, google »