New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Taking stills from video... need help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drewdicus

Drewdicus is on a distinguished road

Hello all you wonderful Mac users!

Well, I finally joined the cult and bought my first Mac after being a PC user for the last thirteen or so years... and so far I'm rather impressed! It's a MacBook Pro by the way, not a desktop one (in case that makes a difference to my question?).

Anyway, on my PC I would use Windows Movie-Maker to play video footage and could click a button to take a .jpg still from anywhere in the movie. I'm not great with computers and have not yet figured out a way to do this on my Mac.

I did manage to create a still using iMovie HD, but it was still in a .mov format (if I remember rightly?) and didn't act like a normal photo would.

Is there a program that somebody could please recommend that is as basic as Windows Movie-Maker that will allow me to take .jpg stills from my movies? I don't need anything complicated as this is pretty much all I will be using it for.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

Drew :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

While in iMovie, select the still frame in question. Then from the file drop down menu, select save frame.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Drewdicus

Drewdicus is on a distinguished road

Ah, fantastic. I do love a simple solution!

Thanks for that! Really appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
Kettlezon

Kettlezon is on a distinguished road

I love the simplicity of this! I just don't know how to get the movie into iMovie from iPhoto. Export?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If the movie is in iPhoto, it will automatically show up in iMovie.

iMovie-iPhoto-Videos.png
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will iMovie suffice for me? | Help on Imovie 0'9 »