New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

No audio in iMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dixon Deeper

Dixon Deeper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini

I'm trying to edit some video footage of a friend's kid, and I get audio in the video clips if I play them in Quicktime. Once they are imported into iMovie, however, the video plays just fine, but I have no audio. I have audio in iMovie from other video clips done with my camera. I know the sound settings are fine, because I've gone and dropped in my own files and the audio is top notch, so it's not a setting that I've toggled.

Any ideas? I do have Flip 4 mac, but that shouldn't come into play, should it? The files that have no audio in iMovie are mpegs.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Basically the audio/video need to be 2 separate tracks and your mpegs most probably are mixed as 1 file. This is called Multiplexed and De-Multiplexing the mpeg file using an app like MPEG2Works or similiar is the solution.

I found this article which will explain things:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42996

Try using this app to de-mux (de-multiplex) the mpeg:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20867
QUOTE Thanks
Dixon Deeper

Thanks Marty. The mpegs in question aren't ones that I took, but were taken with a Sony Cybershot, according to my friend. I get audio on a wintel machine in Windows Media Player and in Windows Movie Maker. Seems both Windows programs play multiplexed video/audio files just fine.

I just tried importing some mpeg footage of mine into iMovie shot with my old Sony Cybershot, and I get the same result. No audio.

Any reason why iMovie must have de-muxed a/v? Perhaps it offers more control while editing?

Thanks for the heads up.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Deeper View Post
Thanks Marty. The mpegs in question aren't ones that I took, but were taken with a Sony Cybershot, according to my friend. I get audio on a wintel machine in Windows Media Player and in Windows Movie Maker. Seems both Windows programs play multiplexed video/audio files just fine.

I just tried importing some mpeg footage of mine into iMovie shot with my old Sony Cybershot, and I get the same result. No audio.

Any reason why iMovie must have de-muxed a/v? Perhaps it offers more control while editing?

Thanks for the heads up.
the Sony Cybershot compresses video as MPEG2 usually, and the resulting Quicktimes are muxed, the audio/video on one track. To edit you must separate them using one of the aforementioned programs. Playback in Media Player or Quicktime decompresses already, but just for playing purposes. You demux so that you can edit them separately, so yes, it offers more control in case you'd like to edit other things encoded in the video, say subtitles.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

See this link for options.
QUOTE Thanks
Dixon Deeper

Thank you, gentlemen.

I'd be a bit upset if a Sony Cybershot was still my primary camera, but I've moved on to a nice Canon S3, and have had no problems whatsoever in iMovie, as Canon's protocol is obviously not muxed a/v.

I'm good. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
matthewskennedy

matthewskennedy is on a distinguished road

The best way iv found so far to edit your muxed footage from a cybershot is to download and install visualhub -> http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/ then drop your quicktime file onto the visualhub app select apple tv option and start it converting, your file will come out as an .m4v or mp4(cant remember exactly) now delete the .mpg file you started with, next open your new .m4v up in quicktime, select File from the menu bar an hit save as... name it and hit enter you will now have a .mov file demuxed an ready to edit in imovie.
QUOTE Thanks
Dixon Deeper

Precisely what I ended up doing, but using iSquint.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook vs. macbook pro for editing | iMovie »