New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Are There Any LEGAL Ways to Rip DVDs to My iPod?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The title probably says it all. I would like to rip some of my DVDs to my iTunes/iPod in the same way that I rip CDs. Are there any legal software tools out there that would facilitate such a thing? It seems like I ought to be able to do this, since I have legally purchased the media (just like CDs), but I can't find any. Thanks.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

No as it's illegal to Rip a DVD

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
No as it's illegal to Rip a DVD
No its not. It is perfectly legal to rip your own DVD's to your computer

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough

It is illegal...

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/24/comm...y/dvd_burning/

It's also illegal to circumvent the Copy right Protection on a Disc, which if I'm not mistaken you have to do to enable you to copy it.

Damien Healy
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
It is illegal...

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/24/comm...y/dvd_burning/

It's also illegal to circumvent the Copy right Protection on a Disc, which if I'm not mistaken you have to do to enable you to copy it.
Well I'll be. I had been going based on Fair-Use/Betamax logic this whole time and didn't even think that the DMCA had made changes to DVD abilities.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7613_7-5135505-5.html

I was rather surprised especially given the record companies got so much flak for the newest rootkit's and copy protection that they offered exchanges and instructions to bypass the protection in some cases.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

Well copyright doesn't currently reflect the uses of a Modern Society and it's well out of date I think UK Copyright Law is 50 years old (Core Element, maybe Some Amendments Added after).

It's simply not reasonable to expect people to buy Movies for every format therefore you are infact Entrapping people to break Copyright Law. That you have the assumption underlaw that it's acceptable for people to ake Backups of Material they have. but then you have the Official Group representing the said Law giving a different message.

And DRM is only causing more confusion and not stopping Copyright Theft, All though I doubt you could be prosecuted for it though, as I don't it could ever be seen in the Public's Interest so a Prosecution would be highly unlikely.

Damien Healy
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

It's also illegal to rip CDs to MP3 players, at least it is here in the UK. I was reading an article on it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...se_cd_copying/

last week whereby the BPI are trying to alter the license to allow people to do this.

Currently they are officially not allowed to rip to their iPods or whatever but unoficially noone will prosecute if the user has the original CD.

So does that mean as we can talk about the iTunes Import button, we should be able to chat about how to rip the DVD into iTunes? Or perhaps we should no longer be able to chat about the Import functionality in iTunes as it is clearly illegal
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
No its not. It is perfectly legal to rip your own DVD's to your computer
Actually, you're right: If the DVD is without copy protection, you are allowed to rip it.

It's only the ones that have copy protection that you aren't allowed to rip in certain countries.

But the entertainment industry would prefer it if you bought a seperate copy of their film every time you want to watch it on a new device.

One copy of Matrix on DVD, one in hi-def, one in iPod format, one for your mobile phone, one for the future hi-def iPod etc.etc.

Don't like it? Contact your representative.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

I don't like it...but I contact my Computer instead and he agrees with me!

There's plenty of ways to circumvent this, also I find it highly unlikely that you wouldn't be able to Appeal under the fact that this isn't in the Public's interest to prosecute you. Therefore do what you want....You decide but you've been told the risks.

Damien Healy
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Well, interesting debate. Thanks folks, I guess I know the story now. Now where did I put that URL again? :-)

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I thought the answers were interesting in that they reference U.S. and U.K. law. So that leaves how many other countries where it might be legal? Hmm. I guess it depends where you're living.

One thing for sure, users want to use what they consider their property in what ever format they prefer at the time of viewing. It would be nice to see the laws keep up to the peoples fair use wishes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« *.flv files | problems importing photos to imovie »