New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Is iDVD a DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fluid Jake

Fluid Jake is on a distinguished road

I was recently at a digital media conference at Tate Modern in London where I heard the lecturer say; A DVD created using iDVD isn’t really a DVD. You have to use DVD Studio Pro to truly encode a DVD. Does anyone know if this is true? Or what he may have been refering to?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid Jake View Post
I was recently at a digital media conference at Tate Modern in London where I heard the lecturer say; A DVD created using iDVD isn’t really a DVD. You have to use DVD Studio Pro to truly encode a DVD. Does anyone know if this is true? Or what he may have been refering to?
iDVD encodes using MPEG2 on a single layer disc. It meets all the necessary DVD standards, so the lecturer is incorrect to say it isn't really a DVD. A DVD, by the way, is simply a Digital Versatile Disc However it is true that as an application, iDVD does not offer all the functionality a professional studio might want to use, when creating a commercial DVD... which is to be expected, considering it's a freebie with any new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

I think he was making an understatement to get a point across...

Like when rednecks point to a small car and say "That ain't a car!"

It's obviously a car, they're just trying to be derisive.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
I think he was making an understatement to get a point across...

Like when rednecks point to a small car and say "That ain't a car!"

It's obviously a car, they're just trying to be derisive.

Sounds more like it - but that would be like saying Logic Express is not a sequencer, Logic Pro is - completely rediculous.
QUOTE Thanks
Fluid Jake

I was under the impression that it would all be MPEG2. As a user of both iDVD and DVD Studio Pro I'm aware of the functionality differences so it did seem a little odd to be stating iDVD isn't a DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Perhaps he was just trying to say that any idiot with a mac can make a video DVD with a menu, but that you need DVD Studio to actually create anything individually yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Fluid Jake

That may be true but I would say someone was an idiot for creating a DVD using iDVD. If the client isn't going to benefit from the creativity and work that goes into DVD Studio Pro then iDVD is a perfect alternative for quick, efficient turn around. My concern was the inference that iDVD and DVD Studio Pro were encoding in different formats which could have compatibility issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Toast 7 CD-Rom XA error ??? | Need help extracting video from burned DVD »