New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

how to connect Sony DCR-DVD305 to iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lakeside

I just recieved a new Sony DCR-DVD305 camcorder and when I use the USB connection, nothing happens.

I figured it would just recognize it, but it doesn't.

I also tried dropping the smaller DVD into the side-slot superdrive...it didn't like it.

Is there a special cable I need to connect a Sony Camcorder to a Mac?

Thanks for your help,

Lakeside.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Never, Never put smaller than standard sized discs in a slot loading drive. I don't think you can connect DVD camcorders to Mac's to download the video. I think the only way to get the video onto the computer is with an external dvd drive and ripping it off

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
imacthere4iam

does the camera have a firewire port? I have a sony mini dv that states in the manual in order to connect to macintosh computers, you must use a firewire. it works flawless for me. the only other option is........

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...D+Recorder.htm

Can't say how well it works though.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

If you have an intel imac and would rather put windows on yoru computer then have an extra thing on your desk (external dvd drive) then you can use the windows software that comes with the camera to put the video on the computer, then you can access it from mac osx to edit it in imovie, final cut, etc.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
imacthere4iam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
If you have an intel imac and would rather put windows on yoru computer then have an extra thing on your desk (external dvd drive) then you can use the windows software that comes with the camera to put the video on the computer, then you can access it from mac osx to edit it in imovie, final cut, etc.
I doesn't souind like a software issue. it sounds more like a hardware connection issue. anyway, why go through all that. you are making more problems for something thats a simple interface problem!
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

When you have the camera connected via USB did you run any programs? The reason I ask is that when I connect my JVC mini DV camera via firewire nothing happens either. I was confused. However, when I opened up iMovie it recognized the camera and I was able to import the video from the mini DV tape.

Try that and see if it works.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

The mac will not recognize the DVD Camcorder. The whole reason for me switching over to a Mac was for me to edit my video of my son. But then i found out that the best (and only way) to do that is with tape. So i sold my DVD camcorder on ebay and bought a MiniDV camcorder. Works perfectly.

My DVD camcorder didn't have a firewire port so i was never able to try that out. However from a couple books i've read and from what i've seen online the DVD camcorders don't work to well with Mac's. Tapes are much better. I have several DVD's that i need to copy and convert the VOB's to something that is editable but havent had the chance since my mom is the only one with a DVD drive able to accept the small discs on her PC.
QUOTE Thanks
v8pitbull

Hi
I have the same camcorder as you. I am new to the world of Mac but I do know that computers see this camera as a storage medium, a hard drive and not as a camera. They dont (or mine dosent anyway) have firewire, just a usb. You can get the files onto the computer using the usb but only by using the sofware that comes with the camera and you can do little with it as the software is so useless. You can decode the finished disk with HandBrake and them process it with iDVD but it takes forever and there is (or I havent found it yet being new to iDVD) no facility to edit the mpeg4 files. In a nutshell the sony handycams are as much use as on fish if you want to do anything other than point and shoot, mine is being sold this week and I will get one of the older tape variety cameras with firewire.
Not good news but I hope it is of some help to you.
Kind regards
v8pitbull
QUOTE Thanks
nalzan

nalzan is on a distinguished road

Follow these steps:
Connect your camcorder to the mac via usb.
Hit the play/edit button on the camcorder and instruct it to play through the computer.
The disc will now show up as an icon on your desktop.
Copy the VIDEO_TS folder onto your hard drive.
Using a program like dvdxdv convert your VIDEO_TS files into dv files.
You can now use imovie and idvd to make your dvd
This method works really well for me,hopefully it should help you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Analog Video to Dvd for iMac Suggestions | Problem with Toast... »