New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

My home video file is 6.3 gb can I compress it with some free software or I have to..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

boguiboy

edit it and reduce it to fit in a regular DVD 'cause a have another one with 9 Gb,? and one more question , can I make my DVD simply using iDVD or a need to do something else ? .I use a sony handycam DCR-HC30 and I guess using iDVD convert inmediatly my home video in a regular DVD becasuse it have that option. Thanks for your info in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Once you import and burn with iDVD, iDVD will compress the 7 gigs to fit onto a normal 4.7Gb DVD.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
boguiboy

Surfwax95 I did it and it works, than you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

Yeah I usually end up with 6gig movie files, but about most of the time, iDVD compresses it to around 1gig-ish on a DVD.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

What kind of quality do you retain if its compressed in that way? Does it look good on a TV still? What if the movie file is 16gigs, will iDVD still compress that as well? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

DVDs use mpeg2 compression, your camera and iMovie work in DV. iDVD can convert DV to mpeg2 without loosing quality at 4 to 1 ratio, meaning your 12 gig DV (standard 1 hour) will be compressed to 4 gigs and have the same quality (the remaining space on DVD will be used for menus and etc.). if you try to more than 1 hour video on standard 4.7 gig DVD disc, you'll sacrifice the quality.

the bottom-line is, forget about how many gigs your movie file is, its the duration, that counts.
1 hour movie good quality DVD
2 hours movie Bad quality DVD (unless you use 8.5 gig DL DVD+R)
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Well the movie I am reffering to is one I made in iMovie, at it is approx 81 minutes long. So its somewhere in the middle. But, iDVD will infact compress it to the proper size? But because of the size, I wil lose quality. My iBook does not have a DVD burner, and I am planning on buying a new portable in the coming months. The MacBook and the 15.4 MBP do not have dual layer drives.

Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

when you make new project in iDVD it will display project info (see attached pic). there you can specify DVD type, compression and start dragging your movies to DVD menu. you'll see when disc gets full.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (77.3 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« css encryption | Capturing DVD images for web »