New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Sandbagged by a Mac ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Northness

Northness is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini G4

Has anyone experienced a problem of the Mac going ahead and, without warning, reformatting a camera memory stick ?

I downloaded some photos from a Sony DSC-T1 with Meorystick to my PC laptop. I did not delete them and there were additional photos on there that I did not download.

As a "backup" .. .ha ha ... see what's coming ... I went to move them onto a MacBook as well, using Finder (I do not like the IPhoto presumption of me not being able to see the file structure ...). I could not find them .. all i could see what a "misc" folder .. and nothing in it. The memory stick does contain NOW though the following files: .Trash, ._.Trashes, ,DS_Store, MEMSTICK.IND and MSTK_PRO.IND .. whatever these last two are. However, clear evidence of a Mac-based incursion.

You might think I had done something, but I did not.

I would think it more likely it was me if I had not moments before done the same thing with a Nikon D50, without any problems.

Anyone any idea what has happened .. as I now have a wiped stick and some files on there that were never downloaded and now appear lost forever.

Thanks Apple, I really appreciate all this ...

neye:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Whenever you open up a removable drive on the mac it creates .Trash ._.Trashes and DS_Store files. The card has not been formatted so you must have done something else

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The Mac cannot just reformat a memory stick or andy disk like that for that matter. As for those files, they are created invisibly. For example:
Extension: DS_STORE
Program and/or Extension Function [What's This?] Company [What's This?]
Macintosh OSX Folder Information Apple Computer, Inc.
Specific Notes [What's This?]
Under Macintosh OSX .DS_Store holds the information which controls the way a folder will be opened; i.e., the shape and size of the window, the position of the window on the desktop and whether file, folder or icon view has been selected. If you were to delete the .DS_Store the folder would revert to the system default next time it is opened and a new blank .DS_Store would appear (invisibly).

In short, something else happened here. It was not the computer acting on its own.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Northness

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
The Mac cannot just reformat a memory stick or andy disk like that for that matter. As for those files, they are created invisibly. For example:
Extension: DS_STORE
Program and/or Extension Function [What's This?] Company [What's This?]
Macintosh OSX Folder Information Apple Computer, Inc.
Specific Notes [What's This?]
Under Macintosh OSX .DS_Store holds the information which controls the way a folder will be opened; i.e., the shape and size of the window, the position of the window on the desktop and whether file, folder or icon view has been selected. If you were to delete the .DS_Store the folder would revert to the system default next time it is opened and a new blank .DS_Store would appear (invisibly).

In short, something else happened here. It was not the computer acting on its own.
:black:
As my Dad used to say .. it must have been the Fairies.

The only certainty here is that I have lost my files, and the Mac has written to the disk .... circumstantial evidence perhaps, but ...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I would try running an 'undelete' utility:

http://www.bluem.net/downloads/exif-untrasher_en/
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

Did you verify that the files were still on the memory stick before removing it from the pc laptop? If you were using a USB device to read the mem stick sometimes it will delete the files if you dont use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the taskbar. I've had this happen many times.

On the other hand i am always copying files from my mem stick (via a usb device or connected directly to my Mac with my camera) and i havent had any issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Northness

Thanks (Dankeschun) Aptmunich for the tip. It worked perfectly, and I recovered all i needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hey so you did try it! Don't thank me, thank the programmer (he does have a donate button ) - it's saved my bacon before as well...

Glad it worked for you!
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

hi

i had been googling for software to find lost stuff on my daughters camera
but did'nt get anywhere for os x.

thanks to you again aptmunich for the heads up on the brilliant exif, just recovered some lost photos of lake garda taken by my daughter in july
and donated to paypal for exif owners

kind regards
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

things dont just get randomly formatted.

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac G4 AGP Graphics Upgrade Question | What to buy? Advice needed »