New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

converting .avi to DVD? how?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

well, I have an .AVI movie I'd like to convert to DVD (burn it onto a DVD so I can watch it through my region 1 DVD player).. how would this be possible?

also, it's only 700mb, will that even be viewable on TV? it looked fine on my 17" powerbook though.

thanks

**** I somehow posted this in the wrong forum, can a mod possibly move it for me? ****
QUOTE Thanks
gussyb

An avi is a PC file but if it were a QuickTime then you can simply drag the file into Toast and having selected the DVD option and the correct format (i.e PAL/NTSC) ti should burn you a DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

so i can't do that with an .avi file?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

I use ffmpegx to convert AVIs to dvds it can be found here
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

is there anything similar to ffmpegx?
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

noxlan..

what do I convert them to in order to play them on a regular region 1 DVD player?

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I've been able to burn most avi files just fine in iDVD

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

trpnmonkey?

can you help me with that? whenever i open up idvd, i just have these stupid templates and what not.

If i just want to burn a .avi movie I have onto a DVD, what exactly would I have to do?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Go the media pane, go to movies (the file will appear here if it is in your movies directory) and burn

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

Where do I find media pane? I go to file>one step DVD from movie and try to burn there.. but I get this error when i insert a DVD+R

"NO disc in the drive"

Do i have to use DVD-Rs?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

you can also use toast in order to convert and burn i belive. toast is a program i suggest all mac users purchase anyway
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Books

Books is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0

Just use Toast 7 and go to the DVD Video Option. Then drag the .avi file to the window, and set all your options (disc name, menu, thumbnail...etc) and burn. It should work.

QUOTE Thanks
ThaXStank

ThaXStank is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine

the toast compression is terrible if you ask me ffmpegx is the way to go,drag the file on their , use the dvd mpeg2 setting and it will make you a video.ts file and then burn the file with toast , the video will look muuuuuch better
QUOTE Thanks
samces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_love84
Where do I find media pane? I go to file>one step DVD from movie and try to burn there.. but I get this error when i insert a DVD+R

"NO disc in the drive"

Do i have to use DVD-Rs?
When you open iDVD it will default to the 'Themes' menu. At the bottom right hand corner of iDVD there are a bunch of little buttons, one says 'Media'. If you put your avi in the Movies folder under your Macintosh HD it will appear in the bottom frame of the iDVD screen once you select Media. Then you can just drag and drop the avi into the center of the background that defaulted with the theme (probably the brown thing) and click the pie shaped circle at the bottom. Then your burning your DVD and you probably have about 90-120 minutes to wait. Let me know if you have any problems.

Sam :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I use FFMPEGX to convert to dvd/audio and video_ts folders.. drag the vidao_ts folder into Toast 7 and burn. Just make sure you set the right resolution when you use ffmpegx or the picture could display smaller... I re-encoded Tron from an AVI and burnt to a dvd and it works fine, the actual picture is just small.. I'm running 1360x768 on my Xbox 360 to play it and it's just like it was scaled down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2GIG MBP Music video!!! | Mac the ripper errors »