New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Editing .mpg files....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeKing7

Ok, here's the deal...I got a mac because I love to edit movies. I got most of my footage from transfering them from my old PC...they are all .mpg format...and they can't be changed. I got VLC and Divx (doctor too) so I can PLAY the videos on my machine....HOWEVER, when I open iMovie, it will not allow me to import the mpg files because it can't be opened in quicktime (or something like that).

Now i usually use adobe premiere to edit (which I will be getting soon) and im also thinking about getting Final Cut Pro. Does anyone with a mac know if the same problem occurs in these programs?

Thanks for any help...
QUOTE Thanks
joeKing7

ALSO I should mention that mpg files that play in VLC seem to have the wrong "time"...I mean video files that should be 11 min long are only 4 mins or so according to the player...whats up with that?
QUOTE Thanks
joeKing7

okay maybe im not asking the right place...can someone tell me who can answer this?
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

probably Movies and Video

http://mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
QUOTE Thanks
webbywebber

webbywebber will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext

that forum is probably best,
but we had this problem in my commtech, and i think we got 'round it by opening the file in quicktime and then exporting as a different format (i know .dv works, but i think it's pretty big) but if you try different formats, i'm sure you'll find something that works

good luck

edit: sorry, didn't realize you'd said it couldnt be opened in quicktime

DEATH TO BIKE THIEVES
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Mod note: Moving thread to a better forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DivX 6.2.5 | newbie: Captured videos from PC to MAC »