New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Video cameras

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Just got my new camera, a GR-DV3000 JVC model.

Looks pretty good and has every inane mode except the one I wanted which was a mode to take one frame every so many seconds so that you can capture slow events like a mushroom growing or something like that.

But the picture looks good and the best bit is that after wading through three pages of "Installation for Windross" instructions I came to the Apple installation sentence "Plug camera into computer." seems to work fine with iMovie so add another compatible to the list.

One small defect is that the camera is very small and anyone with large hands will have extreme difficulty (unless they have a double jointed thumb) reaching the controls when using it in hand held mode. It was obviously designed for midgets or something (maybe all the testers for these products are Japanese children?). Personally I prefer using a tripod and the remote so it isn't such a big downside for me but I sometimes wish this daft race to produce tinier and tinier electronic gizmos would take a reality check because you still require a large bag to hold all the (7) cables, plug in extensions, power adaptors, spare batteries, tapes, memory cards etc etc.

The camera weighs in at only 700g (dunno what that is in old money) with battery and tape, and is only 190mm long (wassat about 7 inches?).

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

take advantage of iMovie. its great

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

After playing with my camera for a few days. I am finding that I now need for disk space to edit the video that I has taken.

Congrats Amen-Moses on your purchase.

And as MacAddikt said iMovie work well.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Quote:
Originally posted by rman
After playing with my camera for a few days. I am finding that I now need for disk space to edit the video that I has taken.
DVDs are the best way to store extra footage after editing, but if thats not available i suggest using extra blank tapes for raw footage. its cheaper than buying more hard disk space

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

That a good ideas, thanx. I still need to get something bigger for working space. But you are right about video tape.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

If you can stand the quality loss you can store ****loads of footage on a CDR/RW in MP4 format (you'll prolly need QT-Pro to do so though).

It is a good solution if you are playing around with lots of small clips as well or even for authoring a rough cut to demo around to family or friends, I'm not sure how many PC players can handle MP4 files though they can always download the lates QT release I suppose.

The other advantage is that some of the newest DVD players can also handle MP4 (so I'm led to believe but I haven't actually witnessed it).

I have found a 500Gb Firewire HD storage system on the net, I'll try to find the link when I get home.

Does anyone know what sort of degredation you get from converting DV to MP4 and back again?

Amen-Moses

MOD NOTE : This is your second edit. Watch your language. Do it again, and you will be banned. This is a violation of the rules. We have rules for a reason
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...WD500/REG/3359

Cream your panties!

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Wow! If I only had the money.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Capture with Formac | DVD Recorders and my iMac »