New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jediracer

jediracer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook

hi all,
i've been using handbrake to back-up some of my dvds onto my hard drive. it works great, yadda yadda. most 2 hour movies end up at about 500 mb (in an mp4 format). i have the 12" powerbook, so wathing movies on my tv through my computer is no prob. quality/sound is actually pretty decent. i do have one question though: is it possible to take that 500mb mp4 video file and somehow burn it onto a dvd disc that could be played on any regular dvd player? (not a computer)
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

yea just use toast, i believe it can handle mp4 files. if not i would def suggest you start ripping with mactheripper to create a video_ts folder set and then use toast to compress and burn...then delete the stuff from your had drive and it will play on 98% of dvd players
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Books

Books is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0

Yes, toast has a very easy-to-use DVD authoring method built in. You just drag the file, name a few thing, choose some others...and burn. I burn all my....'backups' like that.

QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Use MacTheRipper instead of Handbrake and you'll have the entire full quality DVD with everything including extras, chapter selection, etc. Then select the folder created by MacTheRipper with the DVD's title and burn it with Popcorn or Toast 7 (Has to be one of the two because they compress it so it fits on a DVD-R or DVD+R).
QUOTE Thanks
sbrad009

I have Mac the Ripper and I went ahead and ripped a DVD to my harddrive, then what do I do? I have toast but what do I burn it as?

Data?
iso?
DVD?

what settings do I use.
QUOTE Thanks
Books

Books is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0

You use Video -> DVD Video from VIDEO_TS.

Then just drag the folder MTR created.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« connecting sony dcr-dvd to my macbook pro | Final cut pro will not start. »