New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Copying encrypted dvd's

Thread Closed

delboywww

Hope someone can help. I have "Toast" and have downloaded "Mac The Ripper" and have no problems copying non-encrypted dvd's using dvd-R media. Works really well.
I have tried to copy a dvd with Mac The Ripper and it seems to extract the entire disc including extra's and results in a TS file which I then drag to "Toast" and it all seems to be burning OK until I get a window up saying that the buffer speed is wrong try again with a slower writing speed. I cannot see an option to alter the speed.
Is there something I am missing or can I not copy a disc just using Mac The Ripper & Toast ?
Advice appreciated. I have read most threads on this topic but cannot seem to find the answer I am looking for.
Cheers guy's
Del
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well considering breaking copy protection is not legal and we don't allow discussion of illegal things here, you will not get an answer.

Take this as your only warning on this for the future and I suggest you read the forum rules.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

delboywww

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
Well considering breaking copy protection is not legal and we don't allow discussion of illegal things here, you will not get an answer.

Take this as your only warning on this for the future and I suggest you read the forum rules.
Hang on, am I missing something here ? I have seen numerous postings on this site with reference to copying dvd's !
As long as its for my own personal use I don't see a problem but if I am being singled out as the only one on this forum who copies dvd's then I will not bother posting on here again.
disciple

disciple will become famous soon enough

I think it's the breaking of the encryption that is illegal, regardless of how you are intending to use the data, though someone may correct me on that.

Now whether DRM is in itself legally justifiable when you have paid for a product is another question.....at least with music there is a choice of buying non-DRM CD's (for now).
delboywww

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple
I think it's the breaking of the encryption that is illegal, regardless of how you are intending to use the data, though someone may correct me on that.

Now whether DRM is in itself legally justifiable when you have paid for a product is another question.....at least with music there is a choice of buying non-DRM CD's (for now).
Yes I am sure your right disciple but there is loads of postings on this site recommending Mack the Ripper to do just this. So why am I being singled out ?
I have never seen anyone else posting on the subject, being told its not allowed to be discussed on this site.
disciple

disciple will become famous soon enough

I don't think you're being singled out. I have seen similar posts where members have been cautioned by other members - I guess you're just unfortunate in that your post was picked up straight away by schweb. Plus you were quite explicit in stating your aims!
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Because you are explicitly asking to do something illegal, break encryption. Most of the others are asking how to copy a DVD. We won't make judgements because it could be a non-encrypted DVD or a personal DVD they made. Same reason we don't shut down discussion of P2P apps unless someone specifically asks for something illegal.

You came right out and starting asking about something illegal. If it bothers you that we won't allow you to discuss illegal activity here, then by all means, please find another forum.

And honestly, if you've never seen anyone else warned, then you clearly haven't read enough threads. Will some possibly get through, I'm sure. We have hundreds of new threads and thousands of new posts a day, we can't read them all.

delboywww

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
Because you are explicitly asking to do something illegal, break encryption. Most of the others are asking how to copy a DVD. We won't make judgements because it could be a non-encrypted DVD or a personal DVD they made. Same reason we don't shut down discussion of P2P apps unless someone specifically asks for something illegal.

You came right out and starting asking about something illegal. If it bothers you that we won't allow you to discuss illegal activity here, then by all means, please find another forum.

And honestly, if you've never seen anyone else warned, then you clearly haven't read enough threads. Will some possibly get through, I'm sure. We have hundreds of new threads and thousands of new posts a day, we can't read them all.
But thats the whole point, most of the posts I have read are referring to copy protected dvd's and how to copy them otherwise you would not need Mac the Ripper, so to say you do not discuss anything illegal on this site is ridiculous. To pretend that no-one is doing anything illegal
is being a bit naive.
Up to now I have found most contributors to this site friendly and helpful but now I realise its no wonder that Apple have only got a small percentage of the computer market if newcomers to the Mac community are treated in this unfriendly manner.
Logan

delboy i'm sorry but you're not going to win. Even if you win the debate you lose the war, you're fighting with the admin.

Remember,
root > group > public
delboywww

Your right Logan so I have edited my post to keep the powers that be happy.
Looks like I am going to find out how to do it by trial and error on my own if theres no advice forthcoming.

Thanks to all that have helped me in the past.
Del
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Just don't argue with Schweb because if he sees it as illegal then it is.
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboywww
But thats the whole point, most of the posts I have read are referring to copy protected dvd's and how to copy them otherwise you would not need Mac the Ripper, so to say you do not discuss anything illegal on this site is ridiculous. To pretend that no-one is doing anything illegal
is being a bit naive.
Up to now I have found most contributors to this site friendly and helpful but now I realise its no wonder that Apple have only got a small percentage of the computer market if newcomers to the Mac community are treated in this unfriendly manner.
Unfortunately most new mac users don't start off by asking how to do illegal things. So yes, if you do so, which is in clear violation of our forum rules, then you should expect to be chastised.

Secondly I never said that there was no illegal activity going on, I'm sure there is. However this board will not allow discussion of it. Legally, if we allow the discussion, then we are also legally liable.

I would strongly suggest if you can't get past the fact that illegal activity will not be tolerated here that you please find another forum. If you find other threads here that explicitly ask how to do illegal things then please use the "report this post" function.

As for this thread, we're at the end of the discussion and it will be closed.

Thread Closed

« Why is DVD quality so poor? | iDVD - Ken Burns effect in automated slideshows »