New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

AVI Files.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

inthesession

Hi all 1st post here... yay lol i turst i will have a warm welcome "hopes"..

anyways i have a small problem. ive recently been given about 60 avi files all movies by a friend that are over a series of DVD's. i wanted to know.. isit possible to convert these into something a normal DVD player can play ( none divx player ) ive read a few forums they all say why use a prog use idvd and imove, this doesnt work as it wont open any of my avi files / import them? unless im doign something wrong? any ideas on any apps i could use etc. thanks guys

take care all

Scott Edwards
QUOTE Thanks
inthesession

Ok never mind sorry people. manbaged to find the answer using this site lol shoulda thought of that 1st.. ahh gone on a noob spree with forums ahh its been so long..

dl ffmpegX - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473

- where it says source format, drop your avi file there
- where it says target format, choose either DVD mpeg2enc, or DVD ffmpeg, mpeg2enc takes longer but quality is better(from my experience).
-under the options tab select author as DVD & encode with quicktime.
- then press encode... your result will be and .DVD folder that contains 2 folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
- in ffmpegX yu can select the options tab and select the img tab
- select browse find your .dvd folder select go
- in disk utility drag that .img file to the let side and select burn

let me know how that works
QUOTE Thanks
poohfighter

poohfighter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesession
Ok never mind sorry people. manbaged to find the answer using this site lol shoulda thought of that 1st.. ahh gone on a noob spree with forums ahh its been so long..

dl ffmpegX - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473

- where it says source format, drop your avi file there
- where it says target format, choose either DVD mpeg2enc, or DVD ffmpeg, mpeg2enc takes longer but quality is better(from my experience).
-under the options tab select author as DVD & encode with quicktime.
- then press encode... your result will be and .DVD folder that contains 2 folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
- in ffmpegX yu can select the options tab and select the img tab
- select browse find your .dvd folder select go
- in disk utility drag that .img file to the let side and select burn

let me know how that works
I use to use this one free program. I would convert the .avi files into .mpeg4 then I would import them into idvd. Now if I could only remember the name of that program.

ETA: I remembered, it's called isquint. The program is used for converting to ipod recognised files, but idvd also can read them.
QUOTE Thanks
inthesession

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohfighter
I use to use this one free program. I would convert the .avi files into .mpeg4 then I would import them into idvd. Now if I could only remember the name of that program.

ETA: I remembered, it's called isquint. The program is used for converting to ipod recognised files, but idvd also can read them.

nice one ill try that mate. i tried it with the ffx prog and it was taking around 15 hours a dvd... too long when i have over 60 movies to do lol isquint only takes a few hours dont it?
QUOTE Thanks
imacdoyou

Try Visual Hub. I use it regularly, it even works with Windows wmv files! It costs like 20.00USD or so but it's worth every penny
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

Has anyone ever realised that iMovie could also be a useful tool for converting video? It's what I use.

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I use Divx Doctor to convert the avi to a quicktime movie and then use Quicktime to convert to whatever (usually vcd).

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sony dcr-hc20 minidv camcorder connection problem | Alternative to After Effects »