New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Region Free Powerbook software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CashOverAss

CashOverAss is on a distinguished road

Hello. This is the first time im posting on this board, i hope my question gets answered quickly and i become a regular here!
The very first time i put a dvd in my powerbook, i was amazed that it asked me what region i wanted to play, and that i can actually switch it 5 times!
Now i can only switch it two more times, and i think it would be AMAZING if i can find some sort of program that let it be region free, or let me switch the region as many times as i want...
Any hope here?
Thanks in advance everyone.
P.s. I hope this was placed in the right forum, mods feel free to move.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashOverAss
Hello. This is the first time im posting on this board, i hope my question gets answered quickly and i become a regular here!
The very first time i put a dvd in my powerbook, i was amazed that it asked me what region i wanted to play, and that i can actually switch it 5 times!
Now i can only switch it two more times, and i think it would be AMAZING if i can find some sort of program that let it be region free, or let me switch the region as many times as i want...
Any hope here?
Thanks in advance everyone.
P.s. I hope this was placed in the right forum, mods feel free to move.
I believe VLC Player will play DVD's regardless of region, eliminating the need to change/hack the region settings associated with the drive itself.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

umm.. simple way is:
- Disable DVD player from starting up when a DVD is inserted
- Install VLC
- VLC > Preferences > Audio > Output Module > coreaudio - change to '1'

After that VLC will play any DVD you put in. Never worry about regions again.

edit: otherwise it requires a firmware change in your drive which i dont know much about, try searching the forums and google for 'region free' and see what happens
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
CashOverAss

awesome. thank you. im gonna look into it now. do you use this program? or have you just heard of it? any idea of if its free, or if there are any cons to using it? im relatively happy with idvd, and im not looking to replace it. just have a second program for the once in a blue moon i wanna watch a region 2 dvd
thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold

i use vlc all of the time. mainly to watch movies i have ripped on my computer in video_ts folders, avi files etc. basically the program can play anything you throw at it

search versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for it
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
CashOverAss

thank you coach. i like your antimilk aviator. are you vegan?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashOverAss
thank you coach. i like your antimilk aviator. are you vegan?
yep, vegan for a year and a half
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
CashOverAss

wow. good job. me two. actually for about the same amount of time also. my two years is in like september. thanks again for the help
QUOTE Thanks
daz087

daz087 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)

Check out Erroneous (to be used with VLC) as well. It will let you set it up so that when you put in a DVD it asks you what program you want to play it in. You can customize the list of options to your liking. Works great for me.

- Z

Check out World of Apple for Apple news, reviews, giveaways, and more!
QUOTE Thanks
voyager1

Hi, greetings from an Irishman. I have just joined the forum as I was looking for away to play discs from around the globe. I live in England and we are region 2, however I have a small but growing collection of region 1 discs. I have found the above useful and have downloaded VLC (thanks for that). However now the problem has reversed and I find that VLC will play my region 1 discs but not my region 2's. I also find the picture quality poorer, the sound lower and if I enter full screen mode I seem to lose controls. Any suggestions......??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« error burning a eyetv2 file with toast 7 | How to allocate more ram to Final Cut 5 »