New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

burning DVD in iDVD2...738 minutes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

catslikemice

Very new to this forum and new to working with video on my mac. Just purchased Sony DCR PC 330 mini dv handicam and used it as a pass thru analog to digital in order to put some old 8mm/vhs stuff to DVD.

Made some fun titles, etc, in iMovie3, then exported project to a quicktime movie, then imported the quick time movie to iDVD2, as I don't yet own iDVD3. When I went to burn the 1 hr 13 minute movie in iDVD2, found out that burning the silly dvd would take about 738 minutes. Is this normal? This is my first attempt at burning anything and it's killin' me to wait 12 hrs or so just to find out I made a coaster!

Other questions...is it imperative that I purchase iLife for the iDVD3?

I've spent the day reading posts around here for some of these answers and I've heard Toast mentioned more than a few times. What is it? Why is it so good? Does it come with a good manual?

Would love to hear all your opinions on the above.

Thanks in advance.

V
QUOTE Thanks
catslikemice

The morning after followup:

It worked! The DVD plays on my Sony DVD player! The other good news is that when I checked on the progress of the burn when I woke up at 12:30 a.m., it was done.

Would still like to have my other questions answered about Toast or any other good programs out there that would be helpful in burning DVD's.

Thanks!

V
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Toast is a CD/DVD burning program by Roxio. It is the mac equivilant of Easy CD Creator from windows. I have not used it extensively but many people here say that it is a much easier way to burn dvds/cds and is also faster.

I looked around apples website and it does look like you are required to buy iLife to get iDVD 3.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I have used Toast 6 to burn DVDs. It has taken me any where from 8 to 12 hours to create the DVD. I believe the burn time maybe about an hour, and the remaining time was used in creating the mpeg2 file. I am using a 500Mhz G4 powerbook, with 768 MB of memory.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning DVD with toast question | Problem with toast »