New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

No sound when importing on iMovie.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I downloaded part of an episode of "Cribs" off of Limewire just so I could import the clip and cut everything out except the title. However, when I imported it then played it in iMovie there was no sound, only the video was imported-a waste of 25mins.

Anybody know why it's doing this? Could it be because I didn't download the whole file? I just downloaded it then when it got past the point that I needed I cancelled the download, went into my "Incomplete" folder and imported the preview of the vid into iMovie, that should've worked right? Any help would be appreciated, it's for a project that I'd like to get finished with soon.

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What format did you download? Perhaps iMovie can natively use the sound track? I'm just guessing. Perhaps you'll need to convert the file. Or perhaps you'll need to download the whole thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

Its possible limewire dowloads the sound after the video, but I don't really know. Try playing the file in Quicktime. If the sound still doesn't play there you need to download the entire thing. If it does play you need to convert the audio to something iMovie can use like Aiff or Mp3
QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

Sorry for my delayed response, I got caught up in other things. As far as the video clip goes, the whole thing is downloaded in .mpg format and when I play it in Quicktime the sound is there. How would I convert it? Do I need to extract the audio or convert the entire clip?
QUOTE Thanks
campayne

campayne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod

is the sound box checked ?

QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

Yeah all 3 of the boxes are checked.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I've seen a similar problem with my Sony digital still camera's videos.

Search the forums for ffmpegx.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Unless you legally own a copy of "Cribs" this could be classified as piracy which is highly frowned upon here....

QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Could be the infamous Multiplexed Mpeg-1/2 commonly used in DVD rips that the supplier doesn't want edited or converted. If it is the Multiplexed Mpeg-1/2 it cannot be converted or edited. Control-Click it and hit Get Info to find out if it is.
QUOTE Thanks
campayne

Quote:
Unless you legally own a copy of "Cribs" this could be classified as piracy which is highly frowned upon here....
im sure hes not going to use it to make profit

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by campayne
im sure hes not going to use it to make profit
Regardless, the rules are rather explicit:

Illegal Activity: Mac-Forums.com recognizes that this is an international community and as such it is your responsibility to determine what is legal in your jurisdiction with regard to any topic discussed here.

However, in general, we choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

So unless he legally owns it already, he could be considered in violation. All up to the staff though.....

QUOTE Thanks
Sexy Patrol

My apologies guys, we're just making a "Cribs" spoof to promote our fall retreat for our church. All the footage is our own, we just wanted to use the intro so people understood it a bit better. But if it's considered piracy then I guess I have to do without.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

watch the intro.. look at it and see how it was done.. and with some creative editing you can make one of your own.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
campayne

baggss, thanks for the info.

powerbookg4, i think if he is only using imovie he prob has no idea about motion, plus that complex blueprint they use on cribs would be reraly complicated even for the most skilled motion master

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie: Clip question... | imovie files into idvd movie library »