New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Help to load Imovie 5 on a G3 imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geofcoulson

geofcoulson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: slot imac700 with external DVD

Hoping someone can help me with a problem.
I have a slot loading imac 700 (cd only) with OSX 10.46 and 256 SDRAM together with an external firewire dvd reader/burner. I also have a JVC mini dv camcorder. I previously borrowed a friends imovie5 and upgraded from 4. Imovie 5 was fine and I could export to the camcorder unfortunately I lost Imovie 5 (kids fingers wiped it out) and had to use 4 again and this does not allow me to export to the camcorder. My friend no longer has the imovie 5 disc and I have had to purchase a new copy from ebay.
My problem is that when I insert the iLife 05 disc and try to install imovie 5 only, the box does not allow me to select it and the note at the bottom say that "iMovie HD requires 10.3.6 or higher and a 1 Ghz G4 or faster processor for HDV support." But reading the system requirements for iLife it says that it only requies 256 RAM and a 400 Mhz G3 is needed.
At first I thought that it may have been my screen size and resized it but that did not work.
I would really like to be able to work in iMovie 5 with titleing and export it to my camcorder and since it worked previously, I am at a loss as to what to try next....other than to spend a lot of money and get a G4!!
Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
Geoff Coulson
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

FYI you cant get a G4 for pretty cheap now adays. Also, imovie 4 does export to camcorder. Are you sure you have the latest OSX updates? Make sure you are running 10.3.9.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Hmm. That's odd. My daughter's iBook G3 500 with 10.3.9 seems to run version 5 just fine. Maybe the cd you bought isn't the right one or is some special installation. I had the iMovie 5 in an app pkg separately from the basic iLife install package so maybe using that it didn't bother to check and just installed (I just dragged and dropped it into applications and it worked without asking me anything). I'm not sure if there is a utility to extract individual apps from the big install package. Maybe someone else would know.
QUOTE Thanks
geofcoulson

geofcoulson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: slot imac700 with external DVD

Got it sorted thanks......used spotlight to find all OSX files for imovie and....hold your breath.....binned them.
Loaded the ilife 5 dvd and low and behold the imovie box was available.
Now runs and also exports to the camcorder.
Thanks
Geoff Coulson
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video question :/ | Burn avi with Toast 6 »