New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

copying dvd's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

delboywww

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if I can copy dvd's on my new Imac G5 Isight ? or do I have to buy extra software like "Toast".
I was told when I bought it that I could, but have not found out how to do it yet as I am new to Macs.

I find the manual is not very helpful and does not explain how to do it.

Thanks
Del
Surrey
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

You need Popcorn or DVD2OneX
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Mac the Ripper to rip them to the Mac and then Toast to copy them to a new DVD. Popcorn is nice, but if the DVD is protected in any way, Popcorn generally won't work. Will Popcorn burn DVDs from the files that MTR has ripped?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I use Toast 7 but I am pretty sure Popcorn will shrink and burn the files from MacTheRipper.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Mac the Ripper to rip them to the Mac and then Toast to copy them to a new DVD. Popcorn is nice, but if the DVD is protected in any way, Popcorn generally won't work. Will Popcorn burn DVDs from the files that MTR has ripped?
I haven't come across a DVD yet that Popcorn couldn't handle. Besides that its MTR that removes the encryption not Popcorn. Popcorn clearly states that it doesnt handle encrypted TS folders.
QUOTE Thanks
delboywww

Thanks guy's for the advice. Seems like I was given the wrong information when I bought the G5 as I was told that I can copy dvd's right out of the box !
Cheers
Del
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Pretty much NO machine out of the box will copy todays Copy Protected DVD's. You need aditional software. It will copy DATA DVD's out of the box but not movies.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac
I haven't come across a DVD yet that Popcorn couldn't handle. Besides that its MTR that removes the encryption not Popcorn. Popcorn clearly states that it doesnt handle encrypted TS folders.
Wait, do you mean for copying back to DVD or ripping from DVD? Nearly every store bought DVD I throw at Popcorn can't be ripped by it, but I have not used it to burn DVDs, I've always just used Toast.

QUOTE Thanks
delboywww

I would have thought that I could have copied music dvd's. Are they protected the same as Movies ?

Looks like another 70 for "Toast"

I wish these salesmen in the Apple stores would give correct information when buying such an expensive item. For the same price, you can get a multimedia PC which does the lot ! Albeit with the virus issues associated with PC's.

Thanks for info guy's

Del
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Popcorn doesn't rip. It's a burn utility. You can't copy the TS folders in Finder and drop them on Popcorn. You need MTR to take the encryption out first..
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Here is a website that shows you how to do it with disk utility. It says its not for copyright protected disks but I have used it to make backups of a few movies for the laptop at work.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...vd_copies.html

QUOTE Thanks
delboywww

Thanks fyrman, I will take a look at link. Appreciate the info.

Regards
Del
QUOTE Thanks
delboywww

Hi Guy's,

Need more advice please.
I got my "Toast" software and tried to copy a dvd.
Pressed the red record button and it appeared to be copying, but when it had finished it did not eject the original dvd and ask me to insert a blank dvd to record onto. All it did was to display a window saying the drive is already in use ?
I assume the dvd would have copied onto the hard disc but I cannot find it anywhere ? Can anyone tell me if there is a temporary folder that it might be in as the "Toast" manual says if you only have one drive then it will be on your hard disc ?

Thanks
Del
QUOTE Thanks
delboywww

Managed to copy a dvd using "Toast" via making an image file of the original.
The dvd plays on one of my dvd players but not on another. (strangely enough, it is the more expensive player that it wont play on !)
I used DVD+R blank media discs, should I be using DVD-R instead with my G5 Imac ?
Any advice most appreciated.

Del
QUOTE Thanks
static0verdrive

static0verdrive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM

Simply put: MacTheRipper removes encryption of commercial DVDs. Popcorn then compresses the ripped files and burns them. Works for me every time!

Consider donating as little as $5 to MacTheRipper so they continue development - that way it will work with new DVDs in the future - they are a great team and we all use it... it's only fair.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Media Player for Mac | Final cut Express HD 3.5 »