Final Cut Pro advice needed!
    Hi everyone

I have a contact who is a doco film maker and uses Final Cut Pro to cut and edit all her movies. As this is not my area of expertise am posting here to grab some advice for her if poss.

She currently has a Powermac G4 677mhz with 768mb RAM and is running FCP 3.0. She is about to upgrade to the new intel PM G5 when it is released and is concerned that all the movies she has cut on her current system will not be compatible with the new version of FCP/Intel G5 she will shortly be buying.

She is expecting to have to do some re-digitising work but is there anything she should be aware of in terms of Rosetta, universal FCP etc?? Obviously, she wont know herself on the new G5 considering what she is currently using (!) but is there anything she should be aware of prior to the switch?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Los Angeles, California
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    As I understand it, the latest version of Final Cut Pro 5.1, will run on the Mac Intel systems. As for running old data, I have not tried to use my old data from version three to five. Someone else will hopefully have that answer.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

On the road
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Last week I upgraded from FCP 3 to 5. This is on a PPC box. I was able to open the older projects without a hitch.

When you open older projects it allows you to convert them to the newer format. You can save the new project under a new name, or overwrite the previous project.

I would expect the above to be true for the Universal version too. The project files should be compatible between either PPC or Intel. They are not however backward compatible to version 3 of FCP.

I just checked the Apple discussion site and haven' see much mentioned there yet. Seems many people are still waiting for delivery.

Bristol, UK
    MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
    FCP 5 should open any project from previous versions. I use FCP 5 and never had a problem opening any existing projects from FCP 3-4-4.5.

And yes, 5.1 will run on Intel machines
    Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...

Thread Information