New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

FCP 4.5 on a G3 and PCI graphics

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I'm sure its possible to run FCP on a G3 and PCI graphics even tho though the system requirments say no.
What code or whatever do I have to change to make this possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Tell me the specs of your G3, Install FCP on the Mac, navigate to it in Finder, control + click it then open the contents folder. email me the info.plist file and I'll edit it so it will run on your G3. Then I'll send the edited file to you and you replace the info.plist file you have. Then it will run.

This is assuming you already have FCP.

--Cheers.

EDIT: I know we can tell him to download textwrangler and edit the file him self but this is a lot more complicated then just changing the video card string.

QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

I already have FCP (Running it on an eMac 1ghz), however I am not done upgrading my B&W to what I beleive will we able to run FCP well.
By the end I hope to have 896mb of RAM, OC'd Radeon 7000 64MB (Already have that, more cooling will allow for a larger overclock. Although I may splurge for a 9200).
The big thing I need to get is the ZIF upgrade. Which will run FCP better, a 600mhz G4 or a 1.1Ghz G3.
I'm sure I can Overclock the G3 even more because I'm installing insane cooling, however I think an OC of the G4 would result in a drop in Bus speed which would not merit the Overclock.
Now that I know this is possible I feel much better about spending the money. Is there an article describing what you would be doing for me?
Thank you a lot of your help, once my system is together I'll email you.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Basically what I'm going to do is go in and edit the info.plist file to bring the requirements down to your system. As far as I know there isn't an article.

QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

I found this
to install pro apps on underpowered machines.
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

But surely if your system reqs are below the recommended, then you'll suffer from seriously slow performance. Is there really an advantage of doing this?

Speaking as an editor, I feel that performance is absolutely essential when working in software editing environments. Slow render times etc are a nightmare and waiting hours for a simple edit is not fun.

Do you need the features of FCP, or would FCExpress or even iMovie do the job?

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

I used to use iMovie but found it very limiting, especialy regarding grading and audio. I'm already editing on a 1Ghz G4 but need a 2nd computer at a 2nd location and don't have much money to spend on it.
QUOTE Thanks
t1rider321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge
I used to use iMovie but found it very limiting, especialy regarding grading and audio. I'm already editing on a 1Ghz G4 but need a 2nd computer at a 2nd location and don't have much money to spend on it.
do you already have a g3 you could pick up a cheap mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro Question | Help »