New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Thinking about getting FinalCut Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Hey Everyone,
Thinking about getting Final Cut Pro and possibly even Motion 5.

What I would like to know is how much more, or should I say how much better would I be able to create my videos with FC -vs- iMovie?

Few things I have noticed which are a PLUS for me..
- DSLR Video sync via audio..
- White Balance correction in one click..
- Better over all noise reduction/correction..

But besides those, what does it offer over iMovie?
Is the compression better? My videos could be smaller in size IMHO.
Can I have multiple video streams? Like more then just 2 on iMovie..
Are the text titles better? Some of iMovies, most of iMovies are lame...

Anyway, I would like to here everyones opinion..

Thanks,
Joe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe!

I'll try to answer your questions simply but the answers can get very deep when it comes to video.

Final Cut Pro X is light years better than iMovie. It's a professional editing suite with endless possibilities. Yes, there is automatic color correction that can improve white balance tremendously after the fact. And there are also deep color correction tools utilizing multiple scopes. Of course as you know, as a photographer, it's much better to set the white balance correctly when shooting. But FCPX has plenty of post-production tools to help if you don't.

Basically, FCPX offers much deeper control and options-- from transitions to generators to effects. The text titles have many more options and there are 3rd party plug-ins available for endless expansion. Everything is built in layers on a magnetic timeline and you can have unlimited layers of video and sound and fine control of everything.

Regarding compression, file size is definitely affected by 710p (smaller) vs 1080p (bigger) timelines but the aspect that has the most effect on the final file size is bit rate, which is basically the depth or amount of data per second. Higher bit rates equal higher quality output. And you have the most control over bit rate in a program like Compressor. FCPX converts your imported clips (which are compressed h.264 in the case of your 70D) into a larger intermediate codec called ProRes for editing, transitions, effects, color grading, etc and then you send a Master file to Compressor to compress for whatever purpose you have in mind. Compressor gives you complete control over that. Keep in mind that FCPX compresses too, just without as many options.

Motion is a fun program that can really do some interesting things but it has a fairly steep learning curve. It will take you some time to master. I would start with FCPX first-- and perhaps Compressor if you want fine control over compression-- and then decide if Motion is necessary and worth your time.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Thanks for the reply. I was on Apples website last night looking and turns out there is a 30 day trial. So its looking likely I will get it this week.

iMovie does pretty much everything I need, however I would really be interested in more transition and title effects. Also the video sync via audio from multiple DSLRs is something I also really really want and the extra options to clean up my audio is also very much needed.

I didn't realize how much more FCPX offered until I got on Apples website last night. I don't think I will need Motion or Compressor. iMovie works well at exporting as it is. I just use the export to iTunes for really good compression and just upload that to Youtube. And with over 90 transition effects, I don't see my self needing Motion until I just want more customization options over what FC offers.

Over all I feel this is something I will need if I am going to improve the videos of my channel.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Just quick update..

Downloaded FCPX tonight.. Love it.. Before the trail runs out I will stick it on the old credit card.. LOL.. It does everything I need. Its so much better at clearing my audio up that alone pretty much makes it worth the buy.

QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Just quick update..

Downloaded FCPX tonight.. Love it.. Before the trail runs out I will stick it on the old credit card.. LOL.. It does everything I need. Its so much better at clearing my audio up that alone pretty much makes it worth the buy.
Awesome!

Post here if you have any questions about it.

Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDaCat View Post
Awesome!

Post here if you have any questions about it.

Enjoy!
No doubt...

Be warned though I am very comfortable with these types of video editors, so if I have a question its liable to be a tuffy.. LOL

Now if my microphones will arrive this week I think I can bring my video production to a professional level..

Thanks, Joe.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Bear in mind that that $200 charge on your CC used to be well over $1,000! FCPX FTW
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Low quality in Final Cut Express but not iMovie | Flixter Blocked Plug-In »