New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Advice on efficient workflow for collaborative editing in FCP 10.1.1 w/ 4K files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr.cotton

mr.cotton is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Hi All.

I'm pretty new to the video editing world and have a question about workflow and collaborative editing with the equipment we're working with.

Here's what we're working with:

My Mac:
early 2011 MacBook Pro 13"
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Processor: 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5

My partner's Mac:
late 2013 MacBook Pro 15"
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Processor: 2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel i7

Software: Final Cut Pro 10.1.1 (Both of us)

Camera: Sony AX-100 4K

Codec: XAVC-S 4K

The fastest port we both have is Thunderbolt 1.

We choose to shoot in 4K because some of our stuff will be projected onto big screens. This may change to 1080p, but for now we're sticking with 4K which obviously limits our workflow.

Here is the workflow we're considering given the power (or lackthereof) of our respective computers . Any feedback or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

1. Dump footage to partner's computer
2. Import to FCP 10.1.1
3. Convert to proxy files
4. Export library or event (we haven't yet decided how we're going to organize media) to Thunderbolt external HD (looking at Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt 1TB - rec's on external HD's appreciated)
5. Import media AND/OR* converted proxy files from external HD to my computer.
6. We now both have the files and can edit as we agree upon.
*Is it possible to import the proxy file to be more efficient without losing connection to the original media? We've experimented with this a little bit, but the proxy thing is still fairly confusing to me.
7. We plan to keep all old projects on a 5TB USB 3.0/Thunderbolt external HD so we can access them as necessary.

The primary reasoning behind this workflow is:
A) My computer can only edit 4K files in proxy
B) My partner's computer can convert the files to proxy much faster than mine

My questions are numerous but the primary ones are:
1. Does this workflow seem efficient or inefficient given what we're working with?
2. Any glaring holes or improvements?
3. Any recommendations on collaborative editing workflow in general?

Thanks for reading. If I need to share any more information to get a better answer, please let me know. Any insight is much appreciated. Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie and Safari | transfer / copy from DVR to Computer »